What's the difference???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
1. What is the difference between the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option and the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option?

2. Is there a way I can keep all my music on my internal HD and keep all TV shows and movies on my external HD? Seems like a stupid question, I know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The first option lets iTunes organize your music into a certain format. I believe it creates folders for each artist, followed by album, and ending with the track number and name of each song in that particular album. I find it a neat way to organize the file structure of my music.

The second option applies to when you drag music into iTunes. When enabled, it will copy the song(s) to your iTunes Music folder.

If you want to keep music and movies separate, you're going to want to disable the second option to prevent future songs and movies from moving around. Enabling the first option is totally up to you. If you already have a certain file structure for your media and don't want it to change, then you'll be better off leaving the option turned off.

OP
Jeff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Alright. That's what I was looking for. Thank you kindly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Actually, you can keep the second option turned on, but while adding something that you don't want copied to the iTunes library, just hold down the Option key while dragging it in (or is is Command?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.