New Laptop: Macbook Pro or Powerbook? Or..

Reaction score
My next computer will most likely be a mac laptop. I have never owned a mac laptop, but I have done some minor research and it looks great for the stuff I'm trying to do. I'm basically going to be using this laptop for college, an occasional game or two, but the deciding factor is music recording/creation/producing, itunes, and everything else music related. I'm big on music..

I'm split between the Macbook Pro and the Powerbook.
Macbook Pro - http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-macbook-black-core/4505-3121_7-32737068.html?tag=img

Powerbook - http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/apple-powerbook-g4-powerpc/4505-3121_7-20690615.html?tag=prod.img.1

What are the differences between the two? Are there other laptops and options should I consider? Also, what's an 'expansion-bay slot'? ( the powerbook doesn't have one).

Money is NOT an issue. Just any advice and recommendations for what I should do is much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. What's the best software for music creation? I had planned on getting the new logic studio, but hey if theres anything else, it'd be good to know. lol
thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
First of all don't buy anything until the new laptops are released at Macworld in a week.

2nd if you plan to play any games that are not java based like poker get a macbook pro.

3rd don't get one too big if its for school as a 17" is not easy to carry.

And ibooks are not sold anymore, old stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you planning on buying a NEW laptop?

If yes then maybe you meant Macbook or Macbook pro

I believe that if money is tight then a macbook would be fine.
Else I would look at a 15" macbook pro.

PS

Check out GarageBand (included with iLife '08, which is included with all new macs
http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey Melorock welcome to M-F,

As to the Music Creation programs I can't help sorry :[

BUT.... If you wanna choose between MacBook Pro our PowerBook, well since you said money is no issue I'd go full force for the MacBook Pro.

If you ever want to run Windows on Mac whether through Parallels, VMWare or BootCamp you need the Intel Processor and thats only on the MBP. Also the Expansion slot is like what you see on most Windows Laptops which enables you to add certain accessories to your laptop. Like a Memory Card Reader or a Wireless Internet card like the ones from Verizon or Sprint... (though both examples I just given have USB Alternatives, may be another member can give better examples.)

I think the MBP is probably a faster, more powerful laptop all around compared to the Power Book. And don't forget for you to get a PowerBook that means you get a Used Product as its not in Production anymore MBP is the new Latest and Greatest in the Apple Laptop line Up now.

I am pretty sure that another member will be able to shed more light on the whole Music Programs.

Hope that was helpful.

Mina

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
If you ever want to run Windows on Mac whether through Parallels, VMWare or BootCamp you need the Intel Processor and thats only on the MBP.
Mina

The regular Macbook also has a intel CPU and can use all those.

OP
M
Reaction score
wow, I didn't even know the powerbook and the ibook were outdated... I really appreciated the very helpful feedback!

-melorock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
wow, I didn't even know the powerbook and the ibook were outdated... I really appreciated the very helpful feedback!

-melorock.

Since money is no object I would suggest one of the new 15" model macbook pros. I think they will be 2.6 Ghz with a built in 256 meg video card. Get 4 gigs of ram and you should be good to go. Plenty of music software available so that is not a problem at all, many clubs if you haven't noticed use macs for music.

But remember wait until the end of the month for the new models.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sounds like I can't go wrong.. I've waited forever to finally get something like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
The regular Macbook also has a intel CPU and can use all those.

Gbeav...

Thanks for pointing that out. I know of course that the MacBook has intel chip in it. But I didn't mention it as the OP was asking specifically for the MBP.

I personally own a MacBook and I run windows on through Parallels.

Reaction score
how certain is it that mbp's will be updated at macworld tho?

also, im having such a hard time deciding between the 15" and 17" models.

I play poker, but i play 8 tables at a time, i feel like that 17" screen with the high rez option will allow me to have quite a bit less overlap, although since that laptop will be for school, that extra size does worry me a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I'm, obviously, very new here and I'm very new to mac, but I can help with the music creation. If you want some of the best recording/music software, go with the Digidesign 003 audio interface which comes with ProTools LE.
These are both music industry standard for recording. This package costs about 1600, BUT it only costs 1200 if you turn in ANY recording interface and software to Digidesign. (Seriously, you could go buy a cheap old audigy soundblaster internal audio card and some random old Magix recording software and it would save you 4 hundred bucks... pretty cool).

If you are just looking to edit music for fun, Garageband (iLife '08) is fine. There is also an audio interface called the Mackie Onyx satellite. I use it to record and play live on stage. It's about 150 bucks and does a great job. I don't like a lot of Mackie stuff, but they did a good job on this one.

Oh... and my 15'' MBP is incredible... I feel like I'm using a computer for the first time again.

Reaction score
If you're looking for new, then yes, it's between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. iBooks and PowerBooks are only if you're looking for something used.

Just for clarification, both the MacBook and MacBook Pro have the Intel chip, so if you any of your games are Windows-only, you can run Windows with Bootcamp (included with the new Leopard OS X). There are also plenty of great games for Mac you should check out.

For your needs.... I guess it really depends how portable you want to be with school. I'd advice against the 17" MacBook Pro, since that'd just be too much to carry around, but if you don't mind lugging it around school, a 15" MacBook Pro may be worth it. I've got the regular MacBook and it's great for me. I take it to all my classes and the battery life's been pretty good--great compared to my old Windows laptops. Either would serve your music needs, but the extra power of the Pro may be nicer for you--just ask yourself if you would mind carrying something a little bigger around with you to class. The regular MacBook is plenty powerful, and if you need, you can always upgrade it more with 3rd party RAM and an external drive.

As for music creation? Oh, I don't know. I just use GarageBand for my purposes, and it's really good. Definitely better than anything I've used on Windows, but if you're looking for something really *professional* grade then you'll want something more.

Reaction score
Ha ha, I wish money was no object at college, most of the time i aint got 2 coppers to rub together. low wage jobs.

If you're using it for music tech in general, 17" macbook will be your best option, you need the screen space. Plus, with money being no object macbook pro is the obvious choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Dream Machine....
Hey I'm about to make the switch but have great exposure to all things mac, if money is no object go with the 15 macbook pro,

For music software logic is great and is top of the line but with abelton live 7 you can save a bunch of money and get a great product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.