i hope this is the right palce really need some advice please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be: 20'' 2.16ghz 1gb ram 250 harddrive.
I have an imac with 10.4.11, i have had it a while but still have some niggles with it. my biggest problem is my cd drive. I don't know what it is or how to solve the problem.

Basically when i first got the mac, i burnt loads of c.d's played d.v.d's and played games. the disk worked fine and the computer handled them fine.
Now the only disk that will work is The sims 2. I insert a software c.d, music c.d, d.v.d and it tries to read it and as no luck so spits it out.
I just bought the add on for sims 2, and i meet all the system requirements but again it spits it out after a minute of trying to read it.
But Sims 2 disk still works fine. I have checked the disks for scratches, dust, grime but none. Its really frustrating me cause i have loads of music c.d's to rip to my computer.

Have i changed a setting, is there something wrong or am i missing the obvious this as been happening for bout 4 months now could really do with the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds awfully like your optical drive has seen better days. If you are keeping the iMac maybe a Pioneer or similar 20X DL superdrive would be a great investment.

Don't know about Yorkshire but here in Australia they are available from about $30 ~ £12.

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really, i've had it less than a year and barely use the optical drive, howcome it will read the sims 2 but nought else

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've had it from new also

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay i'm going through all my c.d's now to see what it reads and doesn't read.
so far it likes evil dead 2 DVD, cd-r does not read (the cd as images on) canon eos software c.d (states mac compatible) does not work
Mac os x install c.d works
I don't understand how i can have an error with my drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
honestly... its most likely that your drive has bit the dust (or on its way). You might have to buy and install a new one if you are out of warranty.

Most drives exhibit these symptoms when they are losing their functionality.

OP
photojunkie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll contact the place i bought it from on monday, i still have warranty so hopefully will be able to get it sorted thanks for advice folks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
If it's under a year old (or you bought Apple Care to give you 3 years cover) call Apple - their number can be found on the support pages of their site - they should take a look at this for you and swap out any faulty part at no cost to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.