download in dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Another silly newbie question. Using Leopard, download an audio book. It shows up on the right side of the dock in downloads, next to documents folder. Can I remove this from the dock? Send to trash? Does removing it change anything regarding download locations, or is that just an icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Do you want to get rid of your entire downloads folder or just the audio book you downloaded?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to keep the download folder, as well as the audio book. Is the stack just a shortcut to get to a downloaded file? If that is the case am I correct that removing it from the download folder to trash, does not remove from the HD?I guess I was just thinking that the download folder should not have a specific item as it 's symbol, rather a generic one like the documents folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you remove the FILE from the stack into the trash, the actual file will get deleted.

If you remove the entire stack, nothing happens to your download folder. When you drag your entire stack out of the dock, you will get a Poof! animation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I want to keep the download folder, as well as the audio book. Is the stack just a shortcut to get to a downloaded file? If that is the case am I correct that removing it from the download folder to trash, does not remove from the HD?I guess I was just thinking that the download folder should not have a specific item as it 's symbol, rather a generic one like the documents folder.

I see what you're saying i know some people have complained about that and I believe i have seen some sort of way to change that, so do a little snooping and you might find something.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks both for your help. The "poof" thing solves the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yes.. If there is something in your dock that you don't want there, just drag it off... Doing this will not physically delete the app/file/stack from the hard drive, it will just remove its icon from the dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.