Spaces or Desktop Manager

Reaction score
I am new to macs and so far I am sold on them. The space feature is one of my favorite feature that i have discovered so far. I heard some things about a program called Desktop manager. Seems to be a similar idea to Spaces... could someone fill me in on the differences and what one would be the better option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, Spaces is a Leopard only feature. If for some reason you don't have a Mac with Leopard, then Spaces isn't an option for you. You would have to use either Desktop Manager or another program called VirtueDesktops.

Now if you DO have Leopard, first try out the built in Spaces feature before trying out a third party solution. Since you're even asking this question, I'm thinking Spaces should suffice.

OP
DavyJon3s
Reaction score
Yes spaces will probably suffice. However, can you make your MacBook into a SmacBook with spaces ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Spaces is really good. And it integrates into the system much better than any other desktop manager. For instance, when in a spaces birds eye view, you can hit F9 and invoke Expose while in that view. All your windows in all your spaces.

Even if they do make a smackbook app, I wouldn't recommend it unless one day you can get a macbook with a flash based storage. Jerking the hard drive can only result in data loss...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
...For instance, when in a spaces birds eye view, you can hit F9 and invoke Expose while in that view. All your windows in all your spaces....

never knew that, Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Spaces is really good. And it integrates into the system much better than any other desktop manager. For instance, when in a spaces birds eye view, you can hit F9 and invoke Expose while in that view. All your windows in all your spaces.
Very cool! I didn't know that.
icon14.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Spaces and Virtual Desktops are not exactly the same concepts.

Spaces is like groupings of windows. The dock, menu bar, desktop icons, background... all stay put. Only the windows move around. When you move from Space 1 (on the left) to Space 2 (on the right), the popup bezel makes it seem like you are being moved right to a different screen. But in actuality, every window is moved left away from you.

With virtual desktops, the viewport actually moves. When you go from desktop 1 to desktop 2, everything changes. Not just the windows. And you get some really nice core animations to too. It's very slick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spaces is Virtual Desktops. There are different ways of implementing virtual desktops, and spaces is one of them. Personally I'm thankful that the wallpaper and such remains the same, cause otherwise the screen has to draw an entirely new wallpaper (and dock, if it was like that) which would add to resources used. Spaces in it's current form is so smooth, that it is almost perfect.

Reaction score
spaces and desktop manager

Hi all, I have been using Desktop Manager for a while now (after a stint with the codetek version - dropped when it failed to support 10.4 for a while.) Anyway, I just upgraded to 10.5 and kept DM running with Spaces. I noticed that the DM view in the menubar actually lets you change the Spaces desktop. That was my one problem with Spaces -- the lack of an easy way (other than F8) to move to another desktop. It seems that keeping DM running actually gives me that. Anyone else notice that? Am I the only one who likes DM's menu-bar view?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are three ways to change desktops in Spaces. One, you use Expose. Two, you use the icon in the menu bar. And three, you use a keyboard shortcut. The latter two options need to be enabled in the Spaces preferences pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ways to change space:
-Control+arrow key. Example: Move from space 1 to 2, Control+right arrow.
-Take a window, and drag it towards the edge of the screen. The space will automatically change.
-Making apps automatically open up in spaces (spaces preference pane)
-F8 key.
- Click and hold a window, then press Control arrow to move the window to a different space.
- Use speech recognition (I just say "Gimme Space 1").
- Try out warp. it let's you move spaces by just moving your mouse to the edge of the screen.
- Spaces ticker in menubar. But that's a crappy way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's a shame that the author of Virtue Desktops has halted development, as I prefer it's implementation to what I've seen of Spaces (I'm not upgrading to Leopard yet until the incompatibility with Cinema4D is fixed). I'd rather have proper multiple desktops as opposed to how Spaces seems to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer Desktop Manager to Spaces.
And I prefer DragThing to Dock.

But apple doesn't let you release these resources from the OS (like a plug-in or extension). So I don't run the utilities I prefer, in order to run a leaner OS. Sad, aint it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.