• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD08

Reaction score
I have a DivX video sitting on my computer screen, and for the lilfe of me...coming from the pc world, I can NOT get this video to burn to a DVD. Could someone walk me through the use of iDVD to copy this video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
It won't work i've tried to burn with it as well. If you have a Divx compatible DVD player use the Divx Player to burn you can fit 5 movies at 2hrs each on a single DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Can you drag the file into iDVD and play it? If not, convert it to something compatible. Do a search on this forum for that answer.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I even installed Toast Titanium and got the same results. I'd drag the movie onto the application...hit the burn button....and when I open the disk, it acts like a data cd. The movie is sitting inside the disk like a folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For compatible files, type QuickTime in the Help menu and look at the preparation of iMovie of Final Cut sources.

You chose Data disk in Toast. Chose Video and then DVD-Video.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Holy Cow!

I removed Toast 8 from my computer, but, under devices, it shows the toast 8 titanium disc. I can't remove it and I can't access it. Any ideas would be helpful? I am really struggling with burning video to disc. I've tried Toast and iDVD and, even though I try to burn to DVD...not text....the cd opens up to the images sitting on the disc, and not as a movie.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Mac happiness is waning

Maybe it's Apple ignorance, but burning a dvd seems extremely difficult compared to Roxio on my pc. I even tried Toast...a Roxio product. But, iDVD, it looks sooo easy. I drop the video into the window pane. I select the theme....then... I hit the preview button and the program freezes. Have to hit the shutdown button, because other attempts to close the program don't work. What is the deal? Shouldn't a program just be drag and drop and burn? Can someone please tell me what the deal is. I may have to transfer the video over to my desktop pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
You have all my sympathy - my MBP is now incapable of burning a DVD from i-movie. It has been to the i-Studio 7 times, been re-installed and updated.

I have lost several kilos, I am chain smoking, not eating or sleeping properly and have spent the past week waiting for 14 hours at a time for my first business project movie to pop out but after all that waiting it says 'The application IDVD quit unexpectedly' It doesn't say - 'sorry I am not capable of doing my job' or 'sorry you wasted all that money a year and a half ago' or 'you should have listened to your PC friends' - it just quits after a 14 hour wait, wothout saving the menu's and extras and everything I have done so many times now I can't remember - about 30 minutes each time.

I don't know how many dollars a thousand UK pounds is but that is how much I have now lost thanks to Apple - My customers 'premier' has been cancelled 4 times now, they are not happy - my credibility is damaged and I will have to borrow more monry to survive.

I hate Apple, and both managers of the Apple stores here in Bangkok who know me well, sympathise with me and understand that hate and admit that I have been very unlucky indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Apple Haters Unite! (sarcasm) :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ Never wanted to hate them - was a proud owner for about a month and a half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I don't know why any in the business of making DVDs would use the slow internal dvd burner. Why haven't you got a high speed external burner yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
High speed burns are usually less reliable than slower burned discs. This has been my experience, slower burned discs seem to play better in more players.

The iDVD part is what confuses me. I can't live without DVD Studio Pro.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Explanation

I so want to make iDVD work. Is there something wrong with the application to make it freeze when I hit the enter button? Is there compatibility issues? Is just video taken with my Sony handi-cam?

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I don't want to reformat

Load the video into iDVD to burn a disc. I get the preview...than the lovely spinning ball.....locks up. Have to shut down. Open iDVD and I can't even see half of the drop down menu items. ie...update etc. I'm really struggling here. I have Time Machine hooked up (LaCie Disk)....accidently deleted a Christmas video today. Went back a few days and loaded iMovie again....It was missing from there too! What the heck!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Tried the old trusted verify disk and verify disk permissions found under disk utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Did you connect the camera via firewire connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I'm wondering if iDVD has problems with 10.5.x. That seems like the problem to me. Anyway iDVD can't encode the required MPEG2 files instantly. Give it time before you try to burn (depending on the length of your video).

Reaction score
heres how i burn stuff:
open disk copy (its in applications/utilites folder)
go to file, new, and image from folder (for cds and whatnot, got to image from device)
save as whatever
save whereever in dvd/cd master format
once you got the disk image go to file burn image

hope i helped

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.