• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a new phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
What phones (that are SIM card/TMobile friendly) are you guys using that work well with your mac? I read through the phone thread, but I know next to nothing about phone models, so basically it was like reading a foreign language (N450, FP375, H132D, etc).

Here's what I'm looking for:
1) a reasonably small phone - I've got a Motorola SLVR currently, but I find it is too tall to comfortably have in my pocket.
2) great calendar capability that can sync with my MBP (I've been having a tough time remembering all the little stuff I'm supposed to do, so I really need to start using a calendar).
3) I send about 500 texts a month, so ease of texting is important.
4) I will only be using the phone for talking, texting, calendar, alarm clock, and calculator (no MP3's, no internet, etc.)

What can you guys recommend for me? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
iPhone search net for use with other sim cards

Reaction score
I think Nokia phones are great because they are easy to use and simple menu navigation, and the battery life is also great too, and some of them have some pretty cool freatures! Freatures? Hmm, maybe thats a new word Free+Features=Freetures. Anyway, they have some pretty cool FEATURES, but thats just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
i recently got the nokia n81 8gb ( here in england) its briliant works well with the mac easy to txt with and nokia top quality

Reaction score
What about a Nokia 6500 Classic, looking on the web there is a plug-in for iSync. It's a small, well built phone and it's pretty cheap. My friend has an W850i it's a great little phone and again you can get a plug-in for iSync. I'm a Nokia man myself i sync my N95 to my Mac all the time it's great for what i need.

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like Nokia is the favorite manufacturer. Thanks for the replies. I guess I should add that I am having a friend pick up the phone in Taiwan for me, and bring it back with him - so I'll be able to choose anything available in Asia.

As for the iPhone, without wanting to use the internet capabilities of the phone, I think it would be a waste. I would love an iPhone, don't get me wrong, but it's too expensive (and too powerful) for my simple needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I read through the phone thread, but I know next to nothing about phone models, so basically it was like reading a foreign language (N450, FP375, H132D, etc).

I know nothing about phone models either. That is why I use Google to read reviews.

Blackberry Curve is my new phone right now and it is great. Syncs with iCal, small size, qwerty keyboard, and i believe it is available for T-Mobile too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Samsung M620 or Ultra Music GSM is positively tiny. When you see it in person, it's REALLY SMALL! If the flipping doesn't bother you, the keyboard is good. :) The audio quality and reception is awesome, i've been told

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know nothing about phone models either. That is why I use Google to read reviews.

Blackberry Curve is my new phone right now and it is great. Syncs with iCal, small size, qwerty keyboard, and i believe it is available for T-Mobile too.

I googled every phone listed on the first 3 pages, but I wasn't finding anything out about their ability to interact with our OS.

I would assume the Blackberry Pearl is as Mac-friendly as the Curve? I'm leaning toward the Pearl, but I'm far from decided. I think the Curve is a little too large for me.

Samsung M620 or Ultra Music GSM is positively tiny. When you see it in person, it's REALLY SMALL! If the flipping doesn't bother you, the keyboard is good. :) The audio quality and reception is awesome, i've been told

Looks like an interesting phone, but I can't find that it works on TMobile (no sim slot?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Looks like an interesting phone, but I can't find that it works on TMobile (no sim slot?).

There isn't a T-Mobile branded one, I assumed you were ok with buying unlocked? There is a CDMA one for sprint, and others, and a GSM one for like Cingular or T-Mo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would assume the Blackberry Pearl is as Mac-friendly as the Curve? I'm leaning toward the Pearl, but I'm far from decided. I think the Curve is a little too large for me.

The Curve is pretty small in my opinion. I've heard good things about the Pearl too. BB's and Macs are eh. It includes PocketMac which allows you to sync contacts and other things. However it's very basic and mostly all the things I'm trying to do requires a PC. :( If you have WMware/Parallels then you shouldn't have a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.