Device Removal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
If i just pull my USB drive out of my macbook i get a warning error and it seems that I am ment to eject the drive before i remove it.

This is a pain in the behind and something that I dont have to do on my windows computer.

Why does it want me to do this all the time? What happens if i dont? What do you guys personaly do when taking your USB pendrives out?

Reaction score
you should actually be doing this on your windows PC as well. if the OS has a file on the drive locked because it's in use, unplugging it without first ejecting or stopping the device can actually corrupt the contents. the mac, right-click, eject is actually much more simple than the XP 'safely remove hardware' routine.

but you should be ejecting the device under both OS's....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Another way is to drag the icon to the trash can to dismount it - my question on the Mac is, why does the indicator light on the USB device (most have them) often stay lit after dismounting, unlike on Windows? Should it not switch off?

Reaction score
Another way is to drag the icon to the trash can to dismount it - my question on the Mac is, why does the indicator light on the USB device (most have them) often stay lit after dismounting, unlike on Windows? Should it not switch off?

if the device still has power, the power light should stay on. ejecting the device only dismounts it - it does not turn off the usb port...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
you should actually be doing this on your windows PC as well. if the OS has a file on the drive locked because it's in use, unplugging it without first ejecting or stopping the device can actually corrupt the contents. the mac, right-click, eject is actually much more simple than the XP 'safely remove hardware' routine.

Exactly. Which is why I do exactly the same thing for my computers, both Windows and Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Yeah this is probably even more important to do under windows than it is under Mac, windows just doesn't give you a warning message and Mac OSX does.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I just pull devices out with windows and I have never had a problem over the years. Does this mean i can just pull the drive out of my macbook and ignore the message?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there's nothing stopping you from doing it.

of course, there's nothing stopping you from making toast while you bathe either.

Reaction score
I just pull devices out with windows and I have never had a problem over the years. Does this mean i can just pull the drive out of my macbook and ignore the message?

i have - i lost over 80 gigs of music with an external acomdata and windows xp. go ahead and yank the cable...best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows XP and then Vista always shouted at me when I removed USB devices without ejecting.

As long as it's obvious nothing is being written, the chances of data corruption on a USB stick are slim.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with chaos.theorist, DB and the others. Sure you can pull it and be lucky and nothing bad happen, but I have had and also seen many times where there was total data corruption both on Windows and OSX.

I agree with Alexis, I have had XP for sure yell at me for yanking the drive without first un-mounting it.

Like was said, just drag it to the trash. Takes seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

I have corrupted a 2gb card doing that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
there's nothing stopping you from doing it.

of course, there's nothing stopping you from making toast while you bathe either.

Hahahaha Lololol Love the toaster comment.:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
tuobywuk said:
This is a pain in the behind and something that I dont have to do on my windows computer.

at work we are still using windows 2000 (dont ask) and everytime i rip my thumb drive out it gives me a warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated earlier just drag icon to trash and then disconnect when it does not appear on the desktop. That way no files will be left open or ther corruption caused.

On both Mac and PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As stated earlier just drag icon to trash and then disconnect when it does not appear on the desktop. That way no files will be left open or ther corruption caused.

On both Mac and PC's.

You can drag a disc icon to the trash on a PC? I can't on Win 2000.......

Reaction score
Hi all, I am fairly new to the Macworld and have unfortunately removed a card reader by simply pulling it out. I now know how I should eject the device, however I continue to get the error message when connecting the card reader. Are there any tips on how to get rid of the error message the continues to pop up? Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What does the error message say? That would help us to better help you. What brand is the card reader?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.