Spaces auto jumping to screens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Intel 2.4 Core 2 duo, 3gb RAM
Is there a way to stop spaces automatically jumping to a different screen? If one screen is busy doing a process I will often go an do something else on a different screen only to be jumped mid process back to the first screen because something happened on that screen. This is most annoying.

Cheers

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It sounds like you have programs specified for certain spaces. Check your System Preferences.

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have specific programs assigned to different screens but surely I have control over whether OSX jumps me to those screen rather than allowing me to choose to navigate to them when I want?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Check in your Spaces prefs to see if you can uncheck an option to jump focus to a needy app. I'm not sure if this would be in Spaces prefs or in another pref, but I think I remember seeing something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yes, I have specific programs assigned to different screens but surely I have control over whether OSX jumps me to those screen rather than allowing me to choose to navigate to them when I want?

You'd think, right? Most programs handle spaces OK. Some... not so much.
For instance, if I run Fusion in Unity mode and IE is running... sometimes it will get caught in an endless loop of jumping from Space 1 to 2 (and back, endlessly). The only way to jump off that merry go round is to try to click the IE window to calm it down.

I think this to be a flaw in IE or Spaces, which of course were never meant to be together!

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't find such a preference. (Thats was my first thought)

Cheers

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.