• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Comcast Cable Internet

JRV

Reaction score
Anyone else get occasional drop outs from their Comcast cable internet? My cable tv works fine but every few months the internet signal drops out for a day or two. When I call about it they do a text book walk through of how to unplug and restart the cable modem, which I know is all bs. It is fine for months and months and then it will drop out for a day. When I call to complain it magically comes back on within about 30 minutes. Is the problem with the comcast center and they just don't want to admit it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Any chance they could be working on the poles somewhere on your street or nearby?

Similar situation with my ISP and after calling tech support that's the answer they gave me. Of course, they had to tell me to reboot the modem blah blah blah....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yep.

the reset usually works, but sometimes it will take a call. and just last month my modem did actually crap out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I have Comcast and they've been fairly reliable, much more so than my previous ISP. However I never wait long if I get a dropout. The longest I will wait is 1 hour before I call. I've only ever had to do this once, and it was when Comcast purchased my previous ISP company and they were switching the lines. I have experienced maybe a couple of dropouts since, but they have lasted only about a half an hour or so, unless there have been more when I'm not home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
before you call, unplug your modem and router for like 5 mins, whne yo call say you already did that it doesnt work, so they dont waste your time, still doesn't work, call them, it is likely maintenance on their end, or something was changed on their side and they didnt realize it cut someone off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
TELUS DSL doesn't have complete dropouts, but for days at a time a dramatic slowdown, from 300 KB/s to 2 KB/s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^ your typical ISP over sold it capacity thinking people wont actually use the speeds they promise, then when people do, it kills their 50 year old network.

ISP hate people who do anything other then view a web page and check an email, even though they are all touting "share music, movies and photos with friends" then punish you for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I hate Comcast! Ever since they bought out Suscom, my previous provider, and Time Warner the service has been horrible! With Suscom I never had ANY problems, extremely fast speed, no drop outs, and low cost. My Mom was with Time Warner and had similar levels of service. Comcast came to town bought up everything and the speed went way down, their are constant service interruptions, and the prices went up. Unfortunately it is the only real option for internet as DSL is too slow and satelite is too expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I've never had any problems with Comcast. I do however hate that they think they can throttle/kill all my Bittorrent traffic. (link)

Reaction score
Man I thought the problem only happened to me. Dang its crazy to actually hear that this is a common problem with them. Thats why we dropped there cable service and switched to DirecTV, been happy ever since. But we still have there internet service and it ****** me off. I wish we had a better alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I used to, then I got a new router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've had Comcast HighSpeed for almost 7 years now and I have never had any problems with it. In fact, it has only gets better as the years go by.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
In fact, it has only gets better as the years go by.

yeah, i was thinking along those lines when i read what babarnette wrote. i'm guessing it's growing pains, and that as time goes on the service will become faster and more stable as comcast does their thing to the existing infrastructure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.