• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Converter

Reaction score
hey guys...
I'm looking for a quick, easy to use video converter for my mac. one that can easily convert AVI, mpegs, flv, mp4, anything, to, well anything... is there anything this versatile on the market? better yet is there any opensource/freewear out there that can do this... or would i have to pay?

any advice on this, what people use when they need to convert etc, would be tonnes appreciated.

specifically, i need a program that can convert flv files to mp4 for my ipod, but a program that could handle anything would be sweeeet... is there anything out there?

cheers

carey

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Visualhub
ffmpegx
mpegstream clip
etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Visualhub
Pay - $20.00 - Very worth the money!
Free - quirky in my opinion.
mpegstream clip
Free - and pretty darn good.

If you are going to be doing a lot of converting of many files, I really cannot stress how well VisualHub works, that it has advanced customization, but the straight off cuff usability is awesome! You can do batches of files and walk away, as you can with MPEGStreamclip (not as easy straight off).

Brian

Reaction score
iDesktop.tv allows you to search YouTube and download videos in MP4 format, using the within site tools. Assuming you're a fan of YouTube that is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.