• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
The new Mac Pro is out. looks more like an update in processor speed, memory, and storage then a complete redesign.

sorry if this is a repost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The specs look good. 32GB of memory!

M

MacHeadCase

MacNN's Electronista has an article on the new beast.

As does TUAW.

Apple's Mac Pro press release:

Apple today introduced the new Mac Pro with eight processor cores and a new system architecture that delivers up to twice the performance of its predecessor. The new Mac Pro combines two of Intel’s new 45 nanometer Quad-Core Xeon processors running up to 3.2 GHz, powerful new graphics and up to 4TB of internal storage to offer the ideal system for creative professionals, 3D digital content creators and scientists. The standard 8-core configuration starts at just $2,799. ...

And the new Xserve press release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
JESUS!
I wish I had the cash for one of those monsters! My video rendering time would be cut from minutes to nanoseconds!!!!

Reaction score
Very impressive. I want one.

I wonder how much 32 GB of RAM would cost from Apple? I bet it would be cheaper to end world hunger.

OP
sanity1082
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32 gb of memory would cost $9100 from apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
32GB is abit over board i think but hetting on in two moths then i'm over in USA

OP
sanity1082
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you get all the most expensive options the new mac pro will top out at almost 27,000. and for that you can get a nice new car

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Already ordered the new 1.5GB Quadro graphics card.
HA, kidding. Will upgrade to the 8800GT though.
With a few little upgrades, I will have my dream machine.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like that is one item that will not be announced at MacWorld.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Notice the memory is now faster, there is an update in choices in the graphic cards. and you can 1TB disk drives now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yeah. The graphics department seems to have gone DX10 compliant. Still, there should be more choice of graphics cards, especially ones from the open market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This is the oddest time to make an announcement of an upgrade, a week before Macworld. Either this is Apple trying to grab some attention during CES so people don't forget about them (which I doubt since they've never done it before) or Apple just has so many insane new toys to announce, they don't have time to talk about simple upgrades! I'm more excited than ever to see what comes out next week.

if you get all the most expensive options the new mac pro will top out at almost 27,000. and for that you can get a nice new car

Is that including the 8 30" displays it can support at once? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I assume it uses the Penryn processors. Hopefully the 65nm processors drop in price so I can swap mine out for 2 Quad cores.
Seems Apple made room for the double wide cards. It now supports 8- 30" monitors!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The 32Gb is just about the only spec thats not really an upgrade! You can stick 32Gb in the old Mac-pro (yes I know Apple say 16Gb max but thats just because they didn't have it as an option - You just use the SAME ram from the Xserve). Its 800MHz now rather than 666Mhz

Its a new motherboard because it is now SAS/SATA compliant, PCI-E 2 and has bluetooth as standard (this might be a module though - not seen details specs yet)

Surprised they missed out with 65nm Penryn and went straight for 45nm Penryn/Harpertown processor though - NICE !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think I've seen somewhere in this forum that if Apple release a product revision within 14 days of you buying yours you can take it back at no cost or swap it in at no cost or something like that?

If that is not just a figment of my tired imagination then I'd say that kind of guarantees no new Mac Pros next week - or are they not available to ship for another week?

Got to be honest though - If I thought I could actually get enough use to justify the cost of that thing - I'd get one :) I don't think they need a face lift really I think they look pretty smart - but what the heck do I know :D

OP
sanity1082
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I
If that is not just a figment of my tired imagination then I'd say that kind of guarantees no new Mac Pros next week - or are they not available to ship for another week?

according to the apple website they are shipping now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I think I've seen somewhere in this forum that if Apple release a product revision within 14 days of you buying yours you can take it back at no cost or swap it in at no cost or something like that?

I thought they all came with a 14day money back guarantee which would effectively give that as an option. I might be wrong as I have never taken them up on it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.