• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bill Gates' Last Day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Something about "rats deserting a sinking ship" comes to mind.

His first day off from Microsoft since he was 17.
No way. He got married, traveled the world for his foundation, etc. etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
EuphLlama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
haha sorry, I just read over what I typed.

His first time since he was 17 that he wont have his full time Microsoft job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Something about "rats deserting a sinking ship" comes to mind.

LOVE IT! Maybe M$ will actually improve and be compatible with other things besides windows. Probably not.

The face of microsoft...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The face of microsoft...

060328_ballmer.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Am I the only one who thought it was funny? Although technically he hasn't really had a "job" in quite some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
However you feel about the guy his enormous impact on the advancement of the computing world is undeniable and it's truly the end of an era.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
LOVE IT! Maybe M$ will actually improve and be compatible with other things besides windows. Probably not.
Ballmer appears to be even more ruthless than Bill. I believe Microsoft's business practices will become even worse under his leadership. With the current climate over at Microsoft however, much of their core business will lose some if its dominance (as we are already seeing). That is, it will continue to dominate, it will simply dominate less. My understanding from those who work there (being an IT guy working in Redmond, I know a plethora of folk who work for the man) is that the X-Box/Zune team is the only group with much autonomy at the moment.

However you feel about the guy his enormous impact on the advancement of the computing world is undeniable and it's truly the end of an era.

Frankly, I'm not sure that I would give a man who's corporation has actually invented very few of the technologies they've (quite often poorly) implemented can be given credit for advancing the computing world. Much of the so-called advancements from Microsoft were actually developed by others and simply rolled-up/stolen/bought/borrowed. Those advancements would have come without Bill Gates, they just would have been credited to those who deserved it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
not many people at his age can retire and not worry about money. I hope he does well at whatever he decides to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Frankly, I'm not sure that I would give a man who's corporation has actually invented very few of the technologies they've (quite often poorly) implemented can be given credit for advancing the computing world. Much of the so-called advancements from Microsoft were actually developed by others and simply rolled-up/stolen/bought/borrowed. Those advancements would have come without Bill Gates, they just would have been credited to those who deserved it.

it's not the fact about what they did or didn't invent, but how well they popularized it. it may have been poorly implemented but it got the technology out there, allowing other people to use it to further technology even more.

Reaction score
Gotta love the MS haters.

I agree that this is a day to remember. You've done well Bill!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Bingo. Microsoft produce very little of their own stuff, and what they do sucks (Microsoft Bob? That embarrassment was Bill's own idea. .NET? It's Java). MS simply buys/copies technology from others and calls it their own. While his contribution can't be written off entirely, it's hardly all been his own work.

Take Gate's latest announcements that we'll all be using touch-sensitive devices in a few years. Yeah, thanks Bill, but everyone else is already working on it or using it. Good luck with your copied version, though.

Reaction score
I would personally like to thank Bill Gates. If it wasn't for Microsoft, I never would have switched to Apple. Thanks, Bill!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Gotta love the MS haters.

I agree that this is a day to remember. You've done well Bill!

Not a matter of being a hater, it's just annoying to see MS getting a lot more recognition for innovation than they deserve. If you look seriously at many of the major technology leaps that have come out of Redmond, they can be attributed to ideas that were initially developed (or at the very least, conceived) elsewhere.

Let's see...

• MS-DOS - purchased (under very dubious circumstances)
  • Word/Excel - copied from companies such as MicroPro (WordStar) and Satellite Software International, later WordPerfect Corp, and Lotus (1-2-3)/Software Arts (Visicalc). Developed and released prior to public release of Windows APIs rendering competition nearly impossible, because Microsoft's products were able to be released with new versions of Windows. Competing products were forced to be late to the game. Remember 1-2-3, the premiere spreadsheet application for years? By the time its Windows counterpart was finally released, Excel had taken over the market. Word Perfect? Same story.
  • Windows Scripting Host/Windows Messaging - AppleScript/AppleEvents (and before that, shell scripting and Unix IPC -- although one could argue that the very concept of scripting is not innovative, it's simply the evolutionary step in any modern operating system)
  • NT - developed (very poorly) by a team of VMS engineers hired away from DEC.
I could go on, but I have to finish my coffee and head to work. I'm not trying to say that Microsoft (and Bill) don't deserve some amount of recognition. I just wish more people were aware of their sordid history.

In any case, this quote from Dave Winer in the Wall Street Journal last year seems pretty spot on to me:

Microsoft isn't an innovator, and never was. They are always playing catch-up, by design. That's their M.O. They describe their development approach as "chasing tail lights." They aren't interested in markets until they're worth billions, so they let others develop the markets, and have been content to catch-up. This worked well for them in the 80s and through the mid-90s, when they were a more nimble company with stock options that were attractive to bright young people, when Bill G had something to prove, and was current on the latest technology. Maybe it still does work (obviously I have doubts), but it sure isn't innovation, in any usual sense of the word.

FWIW, I was a fan of Microsoft for most of the mid 80's to 90's. Even in my college days where I immersed myself in (and fell in love with) UNIX, I still was doing most of my development on the PC (using Turbo Pascal). Then I picked up a IIci around 1993 and my love for Microsoft diminished until finally being eradicated a few years ago when I realized just how they were stifling competition.

Back to the original intent of this thread however, I do think this is a sad day. Bill Gates started out his career as a ruthless and pompous jerk (and those I know who have had contact with him in those early days have said some less than stellar things about him), but I also believe that he has smoothed out and become a pretty decent guy (I doubt we'll see the same level of philandering from Steve Jobs), and that with the transfer of power from Bill to Steve Ballmer goes the last bit of soul that was left in Microsoft. I personally believe Ballmer to be far more ruthless and pompous than Bill ever was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
I would personally like to thank Bill Gates. If it wasn't for Microsoft, I never would have switched to Apple. Thanks, Bill!

haha thats a good line there. i would second that too. apple>micro$oft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If a guy in MS develops an idea, it's ok. If a guy has an idea and get hired by MS, it's ok. But if a guy has an idea, creates his own company (which isn't much more than filling out some paperwork) and then sells his company to MS plus gets hired by MS because he'll probably make more money that way, it's not ok??

Sounds fine to me. Right up until I hear Bill G telling us how smart Microsoft is for coming up with these amazing new technologies, when they didn't. Look at his touch-sensitive annoucement I've already mentioned - "hey, look at what we're doing." It's already been done, and as usual MS is two steps behind, claiming leadership. All their major packages were bought, and anything they "innovate" for themselves usually fails. And to keep things in perspective, Apple are doing exactly the same with MultiTouch, which they bought in. Apple didn't create Multi-Touch any more than MS came up with the idea for .NET. But I'd sure like to see Steve Jobs interviewed by BBC News claiming how innovative he is, just like Bill does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.