• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Playing movies on a regular TV

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum! I recently just purchased the following a month ago.

MacBook Pro, 15-inch
Glossy Widescreen Display
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
160GB Harddrive
2GB DDR2 SDRAM

I am new to the Mac world - I have been using PC's for a long time since programs I use in engineering (such as Matlab) run on windows.

Anyway, to my first question:

I have been ripping DVD's to my new mac using the HandBrake software. I have been saving them at an average bit rate of 700 and in a mp4 format. Today, I went to the Apple Store and bought the adapter that allows you to use the external screen output as an S-video or RCA output. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9267G/A)

I have been playing my ripped files using the Quicktime player and when I connect to my TV (LCD tv) via RCA, it seems there is a slight latency between the video and the audio out of the laptop speakers. How can I fix this? I am assuming that it is not my mac, since compared to my other computers it is much faster.

Also is there a way to full screen the second display and work on the laptops screen (e.g. surf the internet)? I have to go into the system preference > displays > and select to mirror the two screens in order to put the movie in full screen on the TV I am using.

I am sorry if that was a lot of read! Also I apologize is my questions are lame, I am still getting use to how to do things on a mac!

Thanks for the help!
Derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I went to look at the adapter, but the store is down at the moment. It could be that the adapter does some conversion, causing the lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
When you play the movie on the laptop screen, is there latency between the audio and video?

2. When you go to system preferences/Displays, make the TV the primary display.
Under arrange, there should be a little white or light bar over one of the screens. To see this you have to uncheck mirror. Just drag the bar from the top of the one screen to the top of the other.

Move any application window over to the laptop screen, then open your movie in full screen view on the TV.

I've used the adapter from MBP to TV on a Core Duo, and ther was no latency at all. You might try some different cables after the adapter and so on.

Brian

Reaction score
Try a diffferent player like VLC. This might solve the A/V sync issues, but VLC player also allows you to fullscreen on a secondary display w/out mirroring...

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I downloaded the VLC program and it is working better now. Also love that I don't have to mirror the two windows to get fullscreen on the TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.