Need some help please

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a macbook and am making the transition from windows to OSX. I have a question about some type of file. It appears like a white page. The file icon looks like a blank white page, and I have no idea what program I need to be able to open it. Any guidance is much appreciated! Happy New Years!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do these files have a .DMG extension when you click on them? If so, they are a Disc Image. You click on the DMG and it opens the image and a White Icon appears on the desktop. Double Click that White Icon and drag the Application inside to the Applications Folder. Then you can throw the White Icon in the trash and it will unmount from the desktop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all. I recently purchased a macbook and am making the transition from windows to OSX. I have a question about some type of file. It appears like a white page. The file icon looks like a blank white page, and I have no idea what program I need to be able to open it. Any guidance is much appreciated! Happy New Years!

Another tip, on top of what dtravis already said - you can always click (one time) on an icon, go to the File menu and select "Get Info". That will produce a window that looks like this:

2008-01-06_2220.png

With the info noted in the image above, you can usually tell what kind of file it is. If not, note that info and share it with us here and we'll see if we can help.

M

MacHeadCase

< Off topic >

I hypnotized cwa... You will see me everywhere... ;D

< /Off topic >

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
< Off topic >

I hypnotized cwa... You will see me everywhere... ;D

< /Off topic >

LOL.... Duh, oops :) It's your fault for posting directly below dtravis (edited and gave credit where credit's due).

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I checked the information on the file as you showed me (apple +i). It is a windows executable file. That makes sense because when I use programs and check to see the type of files before I download, they appear as white blank documents. I was confused because these files weren't documents. Aha! So now I am going to use Crossover to run these files on my mac. Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
also off topic (but the problem is solved now ;))
what program did you use to add those 'annotations' to your screenshot cwa107?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.