OK; it's running, now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with oodles of memory
I have my new MacPro up and running, but......... it is a whole new world out there. For 21 years I have learned the windows system and I am lost with OS X. Is there a place to go, or buy a book that would have comands converted for the PC to Mac? Like with the PC I can go to My Computer and find all of my drives listed there and how big each drive is and the free space. A book that would give the PC comand and then where to go on the Mac to get the same results would REALLY help me.
Any direction you can advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I started out with my Mac, these two sites were of great help:

Switch 101

Mac 101

Reaction score
I bought an iMac a few weeks ago.

Here's a book I don't recommend: Max OS X 10.5 Leopard by Robin Williams. It's not in depth enough for an experienced computer user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Having been around when IBM launched it's very first pc (I had one of the 'up-market' ones with TWO 5 1/4" floppy drives!) I changed to my imac just a few months ago. The move has been almost too smooth to believe. I hung around here reading the stickies and checking out the posts for a few weeks. At first it was like learning a foreign language but once my mac arrived everything just fell into place. Sure there are things I'm not doing as slickly as I think I should be able to so one day I'll buy the Missing Manual book but for now I'm just loving it and would never go back.

I'm too much of a newbie to offer any great meaningful advice but I would say just enjoy the new experience and don't get too hung up on pc ways of doing things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
^^ I agree, just get your feet wet.

Unlike PCs you are VERY unlikely to mess anything up on MacOS, so just experiment and post a problem here if it pops up (if you cannot find the answer already posted :) ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
It takes a little time and patience, just like it did when you were first learning to operate in a Windows environment. But it will come. The operating system is very intuitive. For me, learning the ins and outs a little at a time is part of the fun. The help features are fantastic.

For me, the biggest habit that I have to change is putting my Mac to sleep, rather than shutting everything down at the end of the day.

Reaction score
When I got my MBP last July, I didn't need a book. I just got on it and was surprised at how easy it was to use and do things. Like when I used a PC, I still don't use half the stuff on my MBP but that's ok. Just use your MacPro. If I don't know how to do something, I google it, always been able to find an answer. I even found out how to format a DVD using terminal. Very cool stuff.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with oodles of memory
thanks to all for the info. It may take awhile but i will get there.
I just put in 4 gb of memory and 750 gb of hard drives and all seem to be going OK
Al

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have any questions you can not find the answers to, feel free to ask here and we will all do our best to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.