iTunes Volume Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
I have a slight problem with iTunes at the moment. To listen to music I have a set of external speakers all connected to my audio out jack on my MacBook. Although, probably every 5 to 10 seconds in a song, the volume will go up dramatically and fall back to normal just as fast. The volume is basically changing itself. As you could tell, this gets extremely annoying.

I turned off Sound Check and Sound Enhancer from Preferences, but it didn't fix it.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is this JUST in iTunes or any sound output from any software, like in Quicktime?

OP
Kaurotu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
So far, just iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well my gut instinct was that you are having a hardware issue, with the speakers for example. But if it's only happening in iTunes, then that's not likely. I'm a bit stumped for an answer at the moment... perhaps someone else will have an idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
try playing a movie or an mp3 track in the finder

if the problems persist it might be something to do with your hardware

I had the same problem, it was a dodgy 3.5mm jack to phono cable that was connecting the mac to my amp.

Is it both speakers, test that out as well

OP
Kaurotu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Quicktime does it to. It's hard to notice with movies, but music provides the worst issue.

Perhaps it is with hardware. I've had these speakers for about 4 years so maybe it's just age. They're Dell so I'm guessing they weren't made to the best quality.

UPDATE: I used my iPod Touch with the speakers and the same problem occurs. So I'm sure it's the speakers. Time to get new ones...

OP
Kaurotu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Got a new Logitech 5.1 surround system today. That did the trick. Every thing's fine now. Thanks for all the advice.

Reaction score
I have a slight problem with iTunes at the moment. To listen to music I have a set of external speakers all connected to my audio out jack on my MacBook. Although, probably every 5 to 10 seconds in a song, the volume will go up dramatically and fall back to normal just as fast. The volume is basically changing itself. As you could tell, this gets extremely annoying.

I turned off Sound Check and Sound Enhancer from Preferences, but it didn't fix it.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks

Sounds more like an amp issue than anything. Do you have active speakers or are they ran from a separate amp??

Rimmer

OP
Kaurotu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Sounds more like an amp issue than anything. Do you have active speakers or are they ran from a separate amp??

Rimmer

I don't necessarily know what you mean by that but I just had a 5.1 system connected to my MacBook with a 3.5mm jack. They were old speakers anyway but I got some new Logitech and that fixed it.

Reaction score
I don't necessarily know what you mean by that but I just had a 5.1 system connected to my MacBook with a 3.5mm jack. They were old speakers anyway but I got some new Logitech and that fixed it.

I meant the amp that you might have been using to driver the speakers you mentioned.

Sorted then? Good..

Regards. Rimmer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.