Whose fault is it that Windows Outlook PST files dont work on Macs?

Reaction score
Out of interest, whose fault is it that you cannot port your Windows Outlook PST file across to the Mac version of Outlook?

Is it microspunges fault or is it Apples?

Seems a lot in the windows platform are blaming Apple because pst files are a industry standard file format that dont work on Macs...yet if Apple spent time ensuring it did, they may actually grow their 2% market share to 2.3%???

Regards

Mailman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Who cares whose fault it is? The bottom line is that it doesn't work.

Write a letter to both companies.

OP
M
Reaction score
There are a lot of people who care that it doesnt work, and most of those people raise it as a reason why Apple sucks and PC's rock.

I know this may be a contentious subject BUT some of those who I have told Ive changed to the dark side all bring up that its Apples fault a supposed industry standard (PST files) cant be ported across to the Mac platform.

Personally, I feel this is a bit of a cop out as Apple doesnt make microspunge products BUT to these guys its Apples fault Microspunges PST files cant be moved etc.

Mailman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
.pst is related to Microsoft Outlook products. As a result, it would be reasonable to expect only Microsoft Entourage (the OS X version of Outlook) to understand it.

If Entourage doesn't recognise it, blame Microsoft.

End of story.

OP
M
Reaction score
BUT you cant just drop your PC created outlook PST file on to a mac and open it with Entourage can you?

Regards

Mailman

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Industry standard? It may be. Only because MS Outlook is the most widely used mail client. But this doesn't change the fact that it is a closed source, Microsoft protected file. Nor the fact that MS hasn't put out even a reader for this file type without having a working copy of Outlook on your system. while it may be the industry standard, it is also proprietary to MS Outlook. In my book the only one to look to... is MS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I'm a heavy user of Outlook at work, and have had enough experience with .pst files to know that there are severe capacity limitations and instability issues with that format. If you want continuing access to your .pst files on your Mac, just install Parallels, Windows and Outlook. Or do what I do and run a Wintel laptop for work duties.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Out of interest, whose fault is it that you cannot port your Windows Outlook PST file across to the Mac version of Outlook?

Is it microspunges fault or is it Apples?

Seems a lot in the windows platform are blaming Apple because pst files are a industry standard file format that dont work on Macs...yet if Apple spent time ensuring it did, they may actually grow their 2% market share to 2.3%???

Regards

Mailman

.pst is hardly 'industry standard' for a start, it is a MS file type... but anyway.

As Microsoft developed both Outlook on Windows and Outlook/Outlook Express on Mac, only they can be blamed for any incompatibility between the two programs. Incidentally, Outlook Express even on a PC cannot import .pst files.

Entourage cannot import them either (another MS product) and no neither can Apple Mail. Thunderbird (which is platform agnostic) can do so, and so can a few other mail programs.

There is a PST import tool for Mac, created by Microsoft. You can find it here. However, it only works with the Mac version of Outlook... now who's fault is that? Apple's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As you have seen, the fault lies at Microsofts door. Period.

If you want some opions then the following, 'convert outlook pst file to standard "OS X" Mail', entered on Google came up with these two interesting finds; Emailchemy and a OS X Hints entry, for starters.

OP
M
Reaction score
My faith is restored...actually, Ive flogged myself with a wet thread for even thinking this was Apples fault :)

Id say the single biggest frustration (apart from the one button mouse!) has been getting my mail out of Outlook and across to my Mac, which I have now done with O2M.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Mailman

M

MacHeadCase

One button mouse? Good lord, which Mac model do you have? An old one?

The Mighty Mouse has been around over two years now and ever since the Mac has supported multi-button mice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

The Mighty Mouse has been around over two years now and ever since the Mac has supported multi-button mice.
Mac OS has supported multi-button mice since OS 8.6 (roughly 12 years now).
Not that you really need one to access things in Mac OS.

M

MacHeadCase

Was that via third-party drivers? I think I had an old Logitech two-button thing back then... I think it was mostly for the Contextual Menus which had been around since uhm I dunno. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I remember using a two-button Microsoft mouse on my old Wallstreet G3 PowerBook running OS 9 and I never installed any 'drivers' or software. I only used it when I played Diablo, because it was easier to maneuver in the game with it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Warning OT : Every time I see Mighty Mouse this is what I think of.

mouse.jpg

Back to the OT in progess.

OP
M
Reaction score

Hahaha...sorry, this is my ignorance showing through!

When I mentioned this to my 11yo daughter this afternoon she pointed out that the Mighty Mouse has 2 buttons like the old PC one I just plugged back in!

I shall humour her in the morning an plug the mighty mouse in. That will really make her day...and just as she hasnt let me forget the time 9 years ago when I feel asleep in the toilet, I dont see her letting this one go any time soon either!

Regards

Mailman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Might wanna recheck your market-share numbers as well. Apple desktop computers hold over 7% of the market share. Their premium laptops hold something like 30% and if you rule out business laptops they hold 50% or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
How this tread got from .PSt to Mouse options is quite amusing.

Being new to Mac and waiting for my Imac to come in next week (another story) I seem to be missing something with this new wireless mighty mouse.

I see no left and right button, Only seems to have one button on top other then the wheel.

Am I missing something or are you all saying that just pushing on the left or right side will work?

I know I can use a none Apple mouse, but really don't want to.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There are no visible buttons, which is a visual design feature.

There's a left, a right and a third under the scroll wheel. And then there are another two on the side, which are pressed together to make one button.

So 4 functional buttons in total.

M

MacHeadCase

How this tread got from .PSt to Mouse options is quite amusing.

Being new to Mac and waiting for my Imac to come in next week (another story) I seem to be missing something with this new wireless mighty mouse.

I see no left and right button, Only seems to have one button on top other then the wheel.

Am I missing something or are you all saying that just pushing on the left or right side will work?

I know I can use a none Apple mouse, but really don't want to.

Thanks.

This is the way the sensors look underneath the outside shell:

attachment.php

One thing to remember is to learn to lift your left finger from the mouse when you are right-clicking because the sensors are so sensitive, if there is pressure on the left side of the mouse, it will register this as a left-click instead.

Just make sure you take the time to configure your Mighty Mouse to your liking in the System Preferences and you'll be all set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.