• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If Mac Forums was a democracy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Would people with more rep get more voting power?

Isn't it true that the people who contribute more should get more say in what goes on in their community? Or, should everyone have an equal vote, because we are all equal?

EDIT: This is what you think SHOULD happen, not what you think would actually be implemented. I want opinions here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
That is pretty much the way the forum reputation system works (at least on default). People with higher reputation, more posts, etc are able to give out more rep and people who only have, say, one post will barely count for anything if they give out rep. Of course the reputation system is just a fun little thing for members who like making comments about a single post to the poster or whatnot.

But yes, if there were a thread called "What would you change about the forums?" I would certainly feel that those who are here more carry a lot more weight than those who only pop up here and there. I imagine that's exactly what would happen, too.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
That is pretty much the way the forum reputation system works (at least on default). People with higher reputation, more posts, etc are able to give out more rep and people who only have, say, one post will barely count for anything if they give out rep. Of course the reputation system is just a fun little thing for members who like making comments about a single post to the poster or whatnot.

that's what I was going to say. I love it when mods give me rep (not that they ever do or should! Oh crud, I'm going to get banned!)

But yes, if there were a thread called "What would you change about the forums?" I would certainly feel that those who are here more carry a lot more weight than those who only pop up here and there. I imagine that's exactly what would happen, too.

BTW, there is a thread called "What would you change about the forums?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Based on my personal experience, I have discovered that receiving rep from those who have a high rep score results in more points for you than from somebody with a lower rep score. In short, those who have contributed more to the forums DO have a greater say when giving out rep to others.

So the mods and MoTMs would probably carry a bit more weight when giving rep than somebody who joined recently or hasn't contributed as much to the community despite being a member for a long time.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Based on my personal experience, I have discovered that receiving rep from those who have a high rep score results in more points for you than from somebody with a lower rep score. In short, those who have contributed more to the forums DO have a greater say when giving out rep to others.

So the mods and MoTMs would probably carry a bit more weight when giving rep than somebody who joined recently or hasn't contributed as much to the community despite being a member for a long time.

No!

I am NOT talking about the rep system. I am saying, should people with more rep be able to have more 'votes' than people or don't?

For example, if the questions was posed, 'Should the background of the text box be green?' and we all voted on it, should Kash get three votes while Joe only gets one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're asking a hypothetical situation where the Mac Forums community were to be transposed onto a country?

In that case, the system speaks for itself. Since some people's reps count more, than that would translate into a system where those same people would have more votes in the country.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Can I be the 1st lady of M-F? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well sure, but to be First Lady, you gotta get yourself a president ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
If M-F was a democracy

Well, frankly, I'd be leaving. I hate government stuff. Unless authoritaw was respected and I was made king and over all ruler of all mankind!

Kash said:
Well sure, but to be First Lady, you gotta get yourself a president :p

Well, I know what your thinking. The answer is no, as schweb must be president.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see you would take the lead in media, telling us who will be president. ;P

Reaction score
Depends. If you are comparing the forum to the US then the comparison is slightly flawed, because the US is not a democracy - it is a constitutional republic - big difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I'm that creepy guy who walks to the middle of a crowd of press people and yells EH!!!! RESPECT MY AND SCHWEBs AUTHORITAW! just like Cartman and then call the cops if they try to ask "Is your government corrupt?" "Is your government spending too much on needless spendin'?" "Does the Leopard House have cheese monkeys that were payed for with taxpayer dollars inside?"

I apologize for my mainly pointless posts, as I have not had coffee today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think us Aussies And Brits are closer to a Democracy. As many of you have said the US is a republic. Anyways if this was a Democracy, then the member of the month would be the PM or President. As he/she is elected in much like an election. And like most heads of state they have little actual power. More a figurehead with a title. His/her team is who does the real work.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
MHC would be First Lady, of course. Sorry Netty :p

So far, pretty much everyone here would agree that people with more rep should get more voting power?

What about in real life than? Should people with more 'worth' (for example, more education or more 'success') get more votes? Should you be required to have a college degree in order to vote? Or get a certain score on a test?

This is hypothetical, I know. I want to focus more on the principle of it all, as opposed to the logistics of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If Mac-Forums were to be a democracy, then I would want one person = one vote. Everyone would be equal, everyone's opinion would matter.

Democracy with an elite that counts more really isn't democracy it's closer to an oligarchy.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
agreed with scheweb - one person, one vote.

i think people with more rep are just more likley to be voted into public office, and represent the populace (which is actually, kind of what happens). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Is this thread an allusion to something I've heard some of the "far right" saying lately with regards to voting in America? Basically, they have been saying that people who pay more taxes should get more votes in the election process since they contribute more to the country. :Angry: Basically, they are saying that people who are not the top earners (and therefore taxpayers) in this country are idiots, but, since we HAVE to let them vote (that was a quote), then those who actually contribute more should be able to vote more to offset the lesser persons' votes. These are the same people who claim to want to preserve the tenets that this country was founded upon. Umm... okay. Perhaps they should do some more reading. ;)

I personally believe one person, one vote. So, if Mac Forums was going to start taking votes from people here, I think that no matter what the rep count is, one user, one vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For the record, Mac-Forums is not lookin to change the way we do anything. Just want to make that clear.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is that why you put the chicken away again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
is that why you put the chicken away again?

lol. Where did it go?

As far as the thread goes if we were a democratic forum then we'd have to have bumper stickers for our candidates and the resulting scraping off 6 months later

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.