New iMac: Buy now or wait for a stabler Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am planning to get a new iMac but the only thing playing in my mind is regarding the new OSX. Because I've read of a couple of minor bugs/ problems with Leopard & couple of programs like Onyx, which I use in my MacBook (using Tiger), is still only available in beta version.

So what do you guys think? Should I just go ahead & get? or will the minor problems of Leopard bother me?

Thanks. Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I have had zero problems with Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i've had no real issues with leopard

Reaction score
I'll third that. Leopard is great. I won't use Onyx unless there was a problem. The Mac makes those cache files for a reason. Deleting them simply slows things down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
My leopard is quite unstable after tiger pushed it over. It doesn't like being kept at the zoo, either :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apart from a few small issues that were easily fixed. Leopard is running just fine for me too. And even those new folder icons have grown on me. Well to the point I can look at then and not shreik in horror. Really they're not great but toleratable.

OP
N
Reaction score
Chill out people. It's not like I'm complaining bout Leopard. Just needed some vote of confidence I guess. haha

anyway thanks a lot.

T

todd51

I was in the same position you were, but I have decided to go ahead and buy Leopard as soon as I get my next paycheck. I'm living from paycheck to paycheck as a college student, and this Christmas break has put a dent in my bank account buying gifts and all that.

I will be buying Leopard soon from my university bookstore (hey why not get it for $70 if it's the same as the $130 verson?) but probably won't upgrade until spring break. I will be doing a clean install and I probably won't have time to do that unless I have absolutely nothing to do some weekend when I can re-install all my applications.

I say go ahead and get Leopard, I believe it's stable enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only issues I have had at all with 10.5 have been from software developers dragging their feet in updating their apps for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
There were a few hiccups at the initial release, but the updates that were released later seem to have taken care of them. And I do know that people that migrated initially from Tiger to Leopard and did not do a "Archive and Install" had stability issues. Things seem to have settled down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
what people tend to forget is that people only post problems, they don't post to say that's it's working great. and the amount of people with leopard who have posted with problems as apposed to those who haven't is probably HUGE. usually when a new OS comes out, you're mostly going to here about the bad. i've had leopard since it's release and the only issues, were, as stated earlier, third party developers lagging behind. i use onyx for leopard all the time, and it works fine. and i'm pretty sure it's out of beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
new updates come all the time anyway, so if a bug is there then its sorted out pretty quickly.

btw leopard is fine for me too

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Kept my SuperDuper! bootable backup of tiger around for over a month. Finally got rid of it and started using Time Machine while waiting for SuperDuper! to update. Haven't really looked back - only forward.

And Onyx for Leopard was released yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Leopard runs great for me as well. Stability is not an issue with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It sounds like you don't want to buy a new computer because a little free program designed for cleaning up files doesn't work. Who cares if Onyx doesn't work (it does actually - there's a Leopard version out).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Are there any other apps with issues? I have a leopard disc but am reluctant to put it on yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
I installed Leopard the day after I bought my new iMac in mid-November. Since installed the latest Leopard update (10.5.1) and it is currently 100% stable. No issues at all. Buy now, there will always be a reason to delay if you look at it hard enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz 4GB RAM - iPod 5G - iPhone 3G
I am a recent convert to mac having been a PC user (can I use language like that here?) for 17 years. I was an early adopter in Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista. Having changed to mac, and Leopard in particular, I can say that this has been the smoothest and most painless switch I've ever made. The iMac and Leopard have not caused a moment's grief in my first two months of use.

So far I am unable to speak highly enough of my experience with mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.