• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Movie Ratings?

Reaction score
Whats the best place to see/get movie ratings and reviews? I usually check imdb.com and rottentomatoes.com, but both of them seem off. for example, imdb give national treasure, book of secrets a 6.9 wearas rt gives it a 4.9. Whats the more reliable site, or whats a better one to use?

On the side, is it just me, or do others look at the ratings and reviews of movies before they actually see them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Rotten Tomatoes is the most reliable that I have seen out there. The scores it gives are averaged from dozens (sometimes hundreds) of reviews. IMDB only uses a couple of reviews to get their score, sometimes only one.

Ultimately, I decide if I like a movie or not. Reviews can help give a better idea of what to expect, but I don't base my personal judgment on them.

OP
appleisgreat
Reaction score
Rotten Tomatoes is the most reliable that I have seen out there. The scores it gives are averaged from dozens (sometimes hundreds) of reviews. IMDB only uses a couple of reviews to get their score, sometimes only one.

Ultimately, I decide if I like a movie or not. Reviews can help give a better idea of what to expect, but I don't base my personal judgment on them.

Thats exactly what I do also, normally see a movie to decide if I like it or not, but I still like to read reviews, plots, and see ratings to have some basis on what to expect.

Also, are you sure about RT, i have found it to ususally be the exact opposite. ex:
2reviewsce8.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reviews from industry crititcs/professionals are not the same as user votes.
:)
RT has user votes, too.

Lots of 'regular' people like utter crap. ;)

I suppose in the end what matters is if a person was entertained or not, but a review from a person in the industry holds a little more water than the average Joe's opinion in my book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I always used to think rotten tomatoes was an "adult" site as it was blocked by our school filter, however it looks quite reliable :)

For films i usually watch trailers on youtube and make up my own judgement before i go see it, im not a fan of critics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea i just use youtube or the apple site to look at trailers, and maybe wiki the movie if the trailer doesn't explain enough, and then if it sounds good. i go judge for myself. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
For films i usually watch trailers on youtube and make up my own judgement before i go see it, im not a fan of critics

Same here. For me, the trailers are really good way for me to figure out is a movie is worth seeing, renting, or ignoring. Most, go in the ignore pile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.