• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to start a new record label?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok I can't believe this one at all. The Beatles' record label, Apple Corps had filed a lawsuit against Apple Computer at the beginning of the 90s which was settled out of court, I believe, and one of the pivotal agreements was that Apple Computer would never go into the recording industry.

But here is a rumour that has me baffled... Apple and Jay-Z to start record label:

...When we said Apple and Jay-Z were starting a record label, it doesn’t mean that Jay is running it. It just means they are doing it together. What we think will happen is Jay will be on as an "urban" artist, and Apple will go out and make similar deals with other rock and country artists. ...

I personally can't see this happening and think this is bogus but what do I know? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 gb Ipod Touch
i have heard about this lawsuit stoping apple from entering the music industry but havnt they already done this with itunes? unless theres been a secret pay off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I read that story around the middle of the year last year, I would be surprised considering it would go against the digital media they offer.

It doesn't make sense to me that they wold create a record label and start selling CS. Then again, what do I know? :D

OP
M

MacHeadCase

i have heard about this lawsuit stoping apple from entering the music industry but havnt they already done this with itunes? unless theres been a secret pay off

If you go to the link I provided there has been three different lawsuits in the last 25 years or so. The last one was Apple Corps saying that the iTMS violated the previous agreement and the judge rules in favour of Apple Computer.

But this is different because a record label by Apple (Computer) would be a direct competitor to Apple Corps. And that is why I can't see this happen.

Unless the secret payoff like you say...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 gb Ipod Touch
It doesn't make sense to me that they wold create a record label and start selling CS. Then again, what do I know?

surely if they became a recod label it would cut out the the middle man when trying to sell on itunes then making it easier and less competion and more $$ for steve jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That just seems dumb after reading about how the music industry is struggling.
They could call the label Apple-z and get out any lawsuit or settle out of court like they did with the iTunes incident.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Apple has gotten around the lawsuit because they are promoting music or songs. Just the means to down load material. In this case it happens to be music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Jay-Apple nice to know one of my fav artist is starting a record label with apple

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That changes the outlook on things does it.

Reaction score
Since Apple has good quality products,
I would HOPE they sign good people too.
A lot of people these days cant even sing.
Like i heard a new song of a nameless celebrity with a crazy personal life-
its like 98% computer edits and 2% her actual voice.
(IMO i think Amy Winehouse can actually SING, like SING SING, not computer sing, she does seem to have a crazy life though, and she has unique eye makeup, which people hate but she likes so who cares)

Anyway,

Maybe Apple should try to find some new talent in average joes.

Maybe Apple could set a precedent being a record label,
that precedent,
signing people who can actually SING.
HEHE.
There are some good singers out there though......

What if in the future you would be able to go to your local apple store to be a part of a record label? wow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I'd bet money that this doesn't happen, being that the entire idea is ridiculous. For one, Apple's not a music company. Like, at all. For another, the established music labels would have even bigger fits than they already are with Apple if this was even half true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Actually it would make perfect sense for them. They do after all have the largest online store in the world. That way independent artists would come to them as their Record label, and Apple would get a much larger margin on tracks sold on iTunes compared to artist > record label > apple

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple would get more of the independent artists. I would not say a larger profit margin, because that is why independents are just that. I believe they want to create their own music and keep more of the profits. That is also why you have seen more record labels. One of the advances Apple has they don't need a distributor, like most small record labels.

Reaction score
Apple+Jay-Z=Jay-Z edition iPod?LOL, worked for U2!
(BTW i had a teacher who was/is OBSESSED with U2, i had to go in on a saturday to finish final exams and he had the nerve to play his U2 concert from like 4 years ago on the TV OUT LOUD WHILE I WAS TAKING MY FINAL EXAM WHICH DETERMINED MY GRADE FOR THE COURSE!!!I filed a complaint against him.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.