• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Language Warning a step too far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
From a recent post:

People who 'hate' cats do so because, like any human you would have an ounce of respect for, you have to earn their love and affection.

A dog will love anyone, you can kick a dog and it will come back to you whereas a cat would say forget you - i'll find somebody who treats me right.

From a moderator warning PM:

Also profanity is strictly prohibited. This includes the use of symbols or different spellings to try and mask it.

Duly noted, but I have to admit I am surprised that using symbols or stars to mask a word is not permitted. Swear words are part of the English language and have their place. I agree they should not be over used but the reason we have them and that now all dictionary's include them is because they have a use - and that use is to denote strong feeling.

I am aware that this is a very formal forum which is why I used four stars, and if using four stars would cause offence to anyone then they are too sensitive to survive everyday life.

It is more likely that somebody such as I would take offence at such a warning as it makes the poster (in this case myself) feel he is a foul mouthed troublemaker in the eyes of the forum clique when in fact I was merely speaking as most people do.

The fact I didn't specify any four letter word makes it even more rediculous - it could have been 'milk' for all anybody knows, it is left to the imagination and shouldn't be any big deal.

Just thought it worthy of a mention - Mac Forums is my 8th forum over the years and this is the first I have experienced any such warning.

I have only been banned from one forum and that was for asking how Thailand would change when the king dies.

This is a forum for Mac users - we all share the same love for a modern, informal, cool and exciting product - let's not be over formal - after all this isn't a hang out for elderly nuns - perhaps the only minority who would be offended by four stars.

Sincerely

CR

Reaction score
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will agree with you on this issue. But in the end, it's the decision of the administrators/owners of Mac-Forums how they want their site to be run.

It's written very clearly in the rules that what you did was a violation. If you want to post here, you have to play by the rules. That's the bottom line.

Personally, I'm glad Mac-Forums has high standards. It's a lot different than most of the forums I visit. That's a good thing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I don't have any interest in getting into the particulars of this word or that one or possible meanings or numbers of asterisks. However I support the rule b/c it's really hard to find a great forum and this is a great forum and I would like younger people to be able to come here without their parents having to worry about that stuff. I think it keeps M-F's at an "above standard" level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
there is no point in complaining because it is a rule, and it's a rule for a reason. It won't get changed just because one member isn't happy about it. and i totally agree with the last post saying this is an "above standard" forum, and that's what makes it so great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Please visit the site support/ comments/ suggestions discussion group. There you will find similar complaints.
A rule is a rule. If you can't live by them, look for a 9th forum to join. Or, simply don't swear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have to admit I am surprised that using symbols or stars to mask a word is not permitted. Swear words are part of the English language and have their place.
And that place is not here.
I am surprised that a year and a half after you have become a member, you are just now surprised about something that has been in the Forum Rules well before you joined. This should not have been anything new to you.

If you don't like it, then I would echo the suggestion to find another forum to frequent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
George Carlin has me convinced that it's the dumbest thing in the world to have thousands and thousands of words in a language, but then single out seven or so of them and label them as "bad words". But, that's the way it is, so there's not fighting it. Since society has labeled such words as bad, I simply don't use them at all with a few exceptions. There's plenty of other words to use if you have a vocabulary of a 1st grade child.

Putting symbols in the place of letters does not change your intention of using a bad word. Everyone knows what you mean, and it definitely wasn't "milk". It is possible to know about something and still be offended by it. Everyone knows about racial slurs, but are still offended when hearing them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Sometimes I like to think we are all just buddies hanging out, at the same level, and can BS freely without offending anyone. But the fact is this board is frequented by children and women as well. So you gotta speak like you're at the dinner table. Is that really so bad? Don't let it ruin your day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think in principle you have a good point, and I am sure you're not completely alone in feeling that people who have issues with occasioanal profanity are probably in the minority. However there are three very simple points to be made.

1) This forum is read by all, old and young, and no one should have to read or even infer foul language
2) Whilst the use of profanities is common place in English, it is never necessary and belies a lack of alternative vocabulary
3) (most important), the forum admins can choose to run this forum as they please. You are also free to go and find other forums to swear/cuss on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I am aware that this is a very formal forum which is why I used four stars, and if using four stars would cause offence to anyone then they are too sensitive to survive everyday life.

Without restating the obvious since everyone else in this thread has already posted very relevant responses to your complaints on the profanity rule, I wanted to point out this part of the rules:

Rule #1 in our Forum Rules:
Community: At Mac-Forums.com, we strive to provide a safe, comfortable atmosphere for members of any age, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. Do not engage in personal bickering or flaming; remember to treat all posters how you would want to be treated. Lewd or offensive posts, signatures, or avatars are not permitted.

Also profanity is strictly prohibited. This includes the use of symbols or different spellings to try and mask it.

So I fail to see why you're surprised your were warned when you violated a very black and white, clear rule. There's not even any gray there.

As for why the rule exists, I think the first part of rule #1 as well as the other posters in this thread have answered that enough.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I love coming to this forum in part because of the environment created by rule #1. The discussions are respectful; even dignified and erudite (ha; for the most part). Contrast this forum with something like comments on YouTube. Why would you even want to go down that road?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, I hate forums where everybody is bashing one another. Not only is it annoying as it provides nothing of substance, it also leads to horrible grammar and spelling, which is just painful to read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I would say this forum is moderated tightly, if not a little too tightly. BUT, if you don't like they are plenty of other mac forums on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would say this forum is moderated tightly, if not a little too tightly. BUT, if you don't like they are plenty of other mac forums on the internet.

Exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
When all is said and done it's Schweb and the mods that make the rules. We are but guests in this "house". If someone disagrees with them (The rules) no one is keeping them here against their will

... except for MHC. I think they've got her chained up somewhere ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
And cursing is just not classy. Sometimes it feels good though... much like other very non-classy acts haha. But there is a time and place for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I've found that being polite and mannered opens the ears and eyes of others who would rather not hear ideas that are contrarian. I've planted memes in places where same would be unwelcome if offered without civility.

Forum rules aside, if you act as a cur, you are likely to be ignored in life, and you will certainly be ignored here. In contrast, there are young people here whose words and ideas are accepted because they know how to communicate with a degree of civility and intelligence. That's pretty cool, I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Sometimes I like to think we are all just buddies hanging out, at the same level, and can BS freely without offending anyone. But the fact is this board is frequented by children and women as well. So you gotta speak like you're at the dinner table. Is that really so bad? Don't let it ruin your day.

Hey, hey, hey! *jumping up and down* Did anyone else see that or was it just me?!! Giulio wrote "BS" in his post! Mods, where are you now?! *unrighteous indignation*

Side Bar: Is unrighteous a word?

Now you know I'm KIDDING. So no serious replies to this or I'll give up on us.

And I can't resist, I have to add that I had "s*cked" in my siggy for 9 months or so and was NEVER talked to about it. I just stopping "s*cking" and took it out myself. ;P It's true, I'm much better now...

M

MacHeadCase

When all is said and done it's Schweb and the mods that make the rules. We are but guests in this "house". If someone disagrees with them (The rules) no one is keeping them here against their will

... except for MHC. I think they've got her chained up somewhere ;)

Harumphie!!!

*Rattles chains*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I was bored at work one day and decided to find out the origins of some of these swear words most commonly used. I was very fascinated to find out that the SH word came from sailors who would ship Manure over seas in crates.

Well, manure gives off a type of gas and when sailors would go down below to lite a ciggy, it was like a bomb... so... from that point on they would write ... Ship High In Transit... so the fumes wouldn't be confined down below the deck. Now take the first letter in each and you have your swear.

Very interesting...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.