Looking for a Used DSLR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I know there's a similar thread in this forum, but that poster had his choices narrowed down pretty well, and I am quite the opposite. I also didn't want to hijack his post.

Just looking for a decent DSLR for cheap that can handle most things, but nothing too specialized.

Price Range: $300 to $750.
Uses: Landscape/Everyday Object Photography (Hobby mainly)
Lens Type: Standard 50mm/Wide angle zoom, stock lens should be fine for now
Size: Doesn't matter
Preferred Brands: Nikon, Canon, Fuji (I don't care much about this, if it's quality and a deal I'll go for anything)

I'll be going to Italy in March and have been thinking about buying an SLR so I can take some nicer pictures with it than what i can do with my two current cameras. At the moment I have in my possession a FujiFilm S5100 w/ 10x optical zoom, and a FujiFilm S602Zoom w/ 6x Optical Zoom. I inherited the S602 and the S5100 is my primary camera right now. It outputs decent pictures on top settings but I'm looking for better quality and more manual customizability for different shots. We these cameras I feel like I just have a big tourist camera with more zoom, nothing much better than a little silver cheapo one everyone has, only about 3 times the size and with 5 times the zoom power. If i go through with this and get a DSLR I'll sell these.

So far this is has caught my eye, mainly price wise. I ahven't done a lot of searching for used cameras.

http://www.nextag.com/SONY-Alpha-DSLRA100-10-507173918/prices-html

Also, where can i got good quality used DSLRs and trust they won't be mistreated? Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions as to what to buy or where to buy it?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Camera that were once studio cameras look nice but they can have a lot of actuations.
My opinion is to try eBay. Just don't buy one sold As-Is and pay with PayPal and you will be ok.
A new Nikon D40 will run about $450 on eBay. I would think the Nikon D40, Nikon D40x, or Canon Rebel XT or Rebel XTi will work. All should be in your price range new with a kit lens.
Each will perform about the same. They're nice entry level cameras.
I prefer Nikon but I am a little wary of the Nikon D40 and D40x because they don't have the autofocus motor in the body. This means you can only use AF-S lenses to use the autofocus feature. Most older lenses are AF-D or AF-G. But the nice thing about Nikon is they haven't changed their lens mount ever so you could toss on an old 50mm 1.2 AI-S lens and it'd work just fine.
I used to shoot a lot with a D2X and the old 8mm fisheye.
Anyways, my opinion, if the D40(x) had a built-in focus motor, I'd say get that. Since it doesn't, either the D40(x) or XT(i) will work just fine.

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks o much guys. I will read up on everything and get a little more acquainted with the cameras and features themselves before I make a decision.

I'm very surprised a new Nikon could be that cheap.

M

MacHeadCase

BTW I think the photography forums' Sell/Trade/Buy forums I linked you to can only be viewed or seen if you register there, (unless they changed it very recently).

Reaction score
look into a used Nikon D80
you might end up paying a bit more, but the kit lens(if it comes with the 17-70) is better than any other kit lens out there, and its overall a really nice camera
also look for a Canon 30d. with the 40d coming out, the 30d is pretty cheap.
If those are both a little out of your price range, look for a used(discontinued) nikon D70/70s. Cheap, good kit lens(again, assuming its the 17-70) well preforming.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If you want to explore Canon, Phil Greenspun does a good job of summarizing HERE.

From my experience with several Canon DSLR's (XT, 5D, 40D), my recommendation for your budget/needs would be (all new):

Canon Rebel XT
$400
Canon 50mm f/1.8 $70
Canon 18-55 IS $183

The Rebel is slightly dated, but it is still a very capable camera, and one that I started with when I moved to digital photography full-time 2 years ago. It's still sold by Canon because it is still very competitive. My daughter uses it now, but I occasionally borrow it when I want something compact and light. The difference in image quality between the XT and the newer XTi is negligible.

The 50mm is a bargain at $70. The image quality will give pro lenses a run for the money. Note that on a "cropped" camera (most DSLRs), the 50mm becomes an 80mm. At that range, and shot wide open, it makes for an outstanding portrait lens. Just don't expect to be able to use it in tight quarters.

The 18-55 IS is the latest "kit lens" from Canon, and incorporates their ground-breaking image stabilization technology. Don't confuse it with the cheaper non-IS version, which isn't as good from an image quality standpoint. Like most consumer zooms, it is a slow lens (f/3.5~5.6 wide open), so you'll need to use higher ISO or a flash in low-light.

I would then save up for the 10-22 wide-angle zoom lens to literally expand your landscape picture-taking horizons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
www.photography-on-the.net is a Canon forum that has a HUGE user base. Over 100k registered people there. You can usually find some good deals there. A used 30D can be had for in your price range.

It really depends on what you want though. If you're serious about getting into photography, something used and a step up from the entry level cameras might be a better deal for you. Nikon D50, D70, Canon 10D, 20D, 30D, etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Although I'm basically a Nikon guy, you seem to be open to other brands so after you do some research, you might want to also consider doing a refined search on Craigslist, specifically in your area (like... Nikon D40X, Craigslist, Boston). Many times you will find that some folks buy a DSLR only to find it is way too much camera for them and they will negotiate a very fair price. These cameras could be weeks or months old, and they could have accessories included. Plus, if you do a local search, chances are that the seller will have you come over to handle and shoot with the camera, and perhaps print out a few trial shots. Here's a few examples:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/529576381.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pho/525230061.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/528944843.html

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/pho/505008073.html

The Nikon D40/D40X is a nice small package as is the Olympus E410. That might be a consideration for your specific use.

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, so here's an update. I've found some great prices on both the XT and the XTi. The XT I can get for $200 new (body only) and the XTi $259 also body only. I've read reviews for both and a few comparing both. It seems the only major differences between the XTi and the XT are the screen size and the megapixels in favor of the XTi and the battery life and sometimes picture quality for the XT. What would you guys recommend?

I would love a bigger LCD, but is it really worth sacrificing some shoot time? I've heard mixed reviews on the picture quality between the two, can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sold on the 18-55 IS kit lens and probably the 50mm f/1.8, but I'm still looking at all my possibilities.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For a difference of $60, I would go with the XTi. I went from a 2" (XT) to a 2.5" (5D) and a 3" (40D), and am now a firm believer that bigger is better when it comes to LCD screen size. The XTi also has a built-in sensor cleaner, which alone is worth the difference in cost.

You can compare the image quality difference yourself here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page24.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page28.asp

As for battery life, just get some spare batteries. They are dirt cheap. I always carry 2:
http://sterlingtek.com/digital-camera-batteries-canon-digital-camera-batteries.html

Lens-wise, I think you'd have to increase your budget to do better than with the two lenses that you've selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Alright, so here's an update. I've found some great prices on both the XT and the XTi. The XT I can get for $200 new (body only) and the XTi $259 also body only. I've read reviews for both and a few comparing both. It seems the only major differences between the XTi and the XT are the screen size and the megapixels in favor of the XTi and the battery life and sometimes picture quality for the XT. What would you guys recommend?

I would love a bigger LCD, but is it really worth sacrificing some shoot time? I've heard mixed reviews on the picture quality between the two, can anyone confirm?

I'm pretty sold on the 18-55 IS kit lens and probably the 50mm f/1.8, but I'm still looking at all my possibilities.

Thanks again for your help.

Where did you find those prices? Those sound like scams.

www.resellerratings.com

check before you buy. If you find prices much lower than B&H, Amazon, or Adorama, then they're probably not legit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good advice Village. I had presumed the the OP was buying used. Those prices, if new, sound much too good to be true.

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, totally feel like an idiot.

I was thinking of buying the XT from one of the sites on here:
http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Canon_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT_-_Body_Only_(Black)_0209B001/

Thanks to you guys and a little researching, not a single one of those "trusted merchants" is reputable at all. Never even considering "Shopcart USA" ever again.

I looked through some buy sell forums and found a good XT deal, so I'm looking into that. 350 for a used XT with battery grip and two Ion batteries, no lenses.

That or B&H has some nice new ones for $460 with a basic kit lens, or amazon at 400 body only. I'm going to take some more time and think this over some more.

Thanks so much again guys, you saved me a lot of aggravation and disappointment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Yep, totally feel like an idiot.

I was thinking of buying the XT from one of the sites on here:
http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Canon_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT_-_Body_Only_(Black)_0209B001/

Thanks to you guys and a little researching, not a single one of those "trusted merchants" is reputable at all. Never even considering "Shopcart USA" ever again.

I looked through some buy sell forums and found a good XT deal, so I'm looking into that. 350 for a used XT with battery grip and two Ion batteries, no lenses.

That or B&H has some nice new ones for $460 with a basic kit lens, or amazon at 400 body only. I'm going to take some more time and think this over some more.

Thanks so much again guys, you saved me a lot of aggravation and disappointment.

Don't feel bad. If you search for "buy dslr" or something similar on yahoo, the sponsored link up top is often for a place like camera express, which is a scam site. Apparently Yahoo is okay with this as long as they get paid...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.