Wireless networking problem

Reaction score
I have continued to have problems with my internet access and wirelss network crashing when I am surfing with my new Macbook. My network is windows based with a Netgear wirelss-G router. I use a comcast supplied Motorola surfboard modem.

From time to time the internet conection is lost for the whole network and I have to reboot the computer that the router is attached to to get the network back up again. It happens mostly with high bandwidth sites like Youtube. I googled the problem and found out that it is a problem with OSX. Some have suggested that Firefox fixes the problem. I downloaded Firefox. It still happens but maybe somewhat less. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I have to reboot the computer that the router is attached to to get the network back up again.
I don't understand... the wireless router shouldn't be "attached" to a computer. It should be connected to the surfboard, and yes there can be ethernet cables from the router to a computer. But no computer should control the router. Can you describe how you have your network setup?

Reaction score
I don't really have a free solution for you, but here is some personal experience help:

I am in a mostly windows network just like you, and high bandwidth things such as Youtube and music downloads and the like would inflict upon me the same problems that are happening to you. I tried and tried for weeks to find a fix. I ended up buying a new Modem, and i haven't had to touch it since!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Like Sherman said. Your router should be in between your modem and the computer.

OP
F
Reaction score
network

My router is hardwired to one of my desktops, and I use that computer to administer the network, the printer and to log in to the router. That"s what I meant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I also have issues from time to time with the "router death" bug. I think it's pretty hit and miss as far as finding someone else who has experienced it. I've yet to bite the bullet and buy a new modem (mine is 3 years old) to see if that fixes the issue, but our internet only goes down if the cable is out or if my computer is turned on...if it's off, my Fiance's computer never has any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I have this as well but i put up with it only last 15 seconds at the most. Getting Airport Extreme soon hope that will fix issues'

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my D-Link router.

Using AirPort Extreme now sweet as.

But I wouldn't say the problem is "fixed", just moved.

In many cases, purchasing new hardware as a solution to problems is not an option.

Reaction score
I used to have this problem when I would torrent movie files. I would cue up about 10 of them and would awake to not find any downloaded. I then realized that only doing one or two at a time fixed the problem. Now i realized that buying the DVD really solves the problem... ;D I guess my problem really though was with the router not being able to handle the bandwidth... or someone from above trying to tell me something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I never had problems with my home WiFi network, and I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. It's connected to my DSL modem, and the modem is connected to the DSL splitter.

Did it cross your mind that your ISP *might* be the one having the problem? Because you said that the entire network would have its connection lost.

Just speculating. :D

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems (more noticeable since getting my MBP). I have a Netgear wgt624 wireless router. Anytime I go to a site (or even a thread) that is pic heavy or uses alot of bandwidth the connection crashes for everyone. Very annoying to say the least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.