Apple care or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
My mac book pro came with a 2 year warranty from the store. Is it still worth getting Apple care or not?

The supplied warranty covers parts and labour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
I recently bought my iMac from the on-line Apple store - I went for Apple Care...piece of mind I guess.:Confused:

Reaction score
It's worth taking out Apple care if you plan on keeping the MBP the next few years. I'm not sure if it can be brought after the 12 months though i may be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Depends on how long you're planning to keep your Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It can only be bought during the first year of owning your mac and you'll get 3 years of coverage from the day you bought your mac with apple care. Personally it's a piece of mind thing. For me I'd rather invest in a good time machine external drive. But each to his/her own. It's a matter of if you'll need it.

For refurbished products I'd defiantly get it. But for new apple products, it's optional in my mind.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Normally AppleCare would extend your warantty by two years, but in your case it would extend it by one year. Next you would have dual warantty coverage if you were to purchase AppleCare to get the final third year of coverage. As was stated you have a little less than a year to decide to get AppleCare or not.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Thanks for the comments guys.
Not sure if i want to spend £279 for an extra years cover though.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other you will get, that you may not have is Apple phone support.

Reaction score
I went for the the extra 2 years.

Mainly 'cos it's useful at re-sale time and for the extra peace of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'd say not. I never buy those things for any product. It's almost like... scammish in my opinion. It's insurance... and insurance companies always make money, otherwise they wouldn't offer it!

Reaction score
I have NEVER bought an extended warranty for any computer because I have never needed it. Ever since the early 80s when I bought my first computer (which still works) I have never had a computer fail. I had one quit working shortly after I sold it :) but thats it. Even on other electronics I never get the extended warranty and on those items I have never needed it. My first iPod is three years old now and still works flawlessly.

I won't be buying it for my Classic, I won't be buying it for my MBP and I won't be buying it for my iPhone.

Reaction score
I'd say not. I never buy those things for any product. It's almost like... scammish in my opinion. It's insurance... and insurance companies always make money, otherwise they wouldn't offer it!

i second that. basically its up to you.
i personally would say NO.
You end up forking out hundreds for extra cover and hope and pray nothing goes wrong with your computer during its 'cover period'.
THEN when something does go wrong, they dont want to know and they will try to worm their way out of repairing it or somehow your not covered and theyl have your computer for AGES AND AGES. THEN if your dissatisfied, they get all 'off' with you if you decide you want it repaired further and sometimes its not covered in the SMALL PRINT...ahh to much hassle and to MUCH MONEY its scandalous!

Its typical of all these companies who rip ppl off to make an extra buck. The salesperson who sells the insurance is getting a % so remember your lining his pocket to. They will push into selling extra cover. your just another tally on their sales target for the day. dont fall for it! grrr! dont be a mug!
dont fall for their sales spiele. its a big con!

But thats my take on it. everyone has their own opinions :)

Reaction score
i second that. basically its up to you.
i personally would say NO.
more often than NOT if something does go wrong they will try to worm their way out of repairing it or somehow your not covered. Its typical of all these companies who rip ppl off to make an extra buck. The salesperson who sells the insurance is getting a % so remember your lining his pocket to. They will push into selling extra cover. grrr! dont be a mug!

its all a con for what it is.

But thats my take on it. everyone has their own opinions :)

This is why BestBuy pushes their worthless extended warranty on every sale because it is a HUGE profit making scheme. Most people will never need the warranty so this means that $50 is all profit.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember that insurance is insurance, be it car or fire. The company is betting that you will not need it. Look at the hit the insurance companies took in California with earth quakes. Now they don't want to sell it to you.

it is more for piece of mind than anything else. I did not purchase it for my laptops and never needed it. I did break a hinge and wished I had it. I purchased it for my previous PowerMac G5, which paid for it self big time. I was able to get a new Mac Pro in place of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac - 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 160GB hard drive, 1GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5
When I purchased my first iMac, the shop had a deal going that if you get Applecare, they would throw in a 500GB Lacie external hard drive - I went for it because it was too good a deal..Not to mention the piece of mind that comes with it...Anyway - each to his/her own... :)

Reaction score
i got it on my powerbook g4 3.5 years ago and it has paid for itself over and over. I got a new keyboard, two new hdd's, a new mainboard, and a tightened hinge... to me it was and will be worth it when I buy a new computer, but you have to make that decision for yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.