Fusion and connectiong to the internet

Reaction score
OS 10.5.1
Fusion interferes with my dialup internet connection.
I can be using Internet and then load Fusion and the connection is disconnected.
I cannot just quit Fusion and reconnect. I have to restart.
Any suggestions.

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
Change the settings in fusion so it doesn't hijack your Mac's internet connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
That's interesting. The default Network connectivity mode is NAT so how would it hijack the host OSs network connection.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I think it's actually hijacking (if that's the correct word) the modem. I am guessing it is a USB modem? Fusion seeks to connect USB devices on startup (Gaz is right - you can set default to not connect certain devices on startup). USB devices are not accessible by both systems at once, so your Mac loses it's connection to the internet. Closing Fusion releases your modem, but it probably needs reinitialization. Instead of restarting your Mac, try unplugging and replugging your modem. If you don't have a USB modem, I've got nothin'. Good luck.

Reaction score
The original poster did say dial-up, so the virtual OS is enabling the modem(usb?, ie. which Mac?), thus disabling it in the Mac environment and dropping the connection.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know which settings to change as they are they are the recommended ones.

So...how close were we on our guesses? We need more info to help you, man!
Do you have a USB modem? If yes, did you try unplugging/replugging? What computer do you have?

OP
P
Reaction score
Fusion and connecting to the internet

I think it's actually hijacking (if that's the correct word) the modem. I am guessing it is a USB modem? Fusion seeks to connect USB devices on startup (Gaz is right - you can set default to not connect certain devices on startup). USB devices are not accessible by both systems at once, so your Mac loses it's connection to the internet. ]

I do have a USB modem. So how do I connect from within Fusion? I need to do this for my genealogy software (Gensmarts and Familytreemaker)

[Closing Fusion releases your modem, but it probably needs reinitialization. Instead of restarting your Mac, try unplugging and replugging your modem].
I will try that

[If you don't have a USB modem, I've got nothin'. Good luck.]

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, it's you, patricci! I helped you before with your family history dates. How's that goin'?

Anyway. So you want to connect to the internet from Windows but maintain connection on the Mac side? Bridging is how to do it, but on dialup...

when you run Fusion, set View to Single Window. There should be USB symbols (I have a set of five or six) in the bottom right hand corner. Hovering over them displays the name of the device. Currently when you start, is your modem displayed there? Does it connect (is it bright blue rather than grayed out)?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have an Imac running 10.5.1 as stated in my original post.
I unplugged my modem and replugged it in Fusion.
I could not connect in Fusion. Not sure how to setup connection within Fusion. I assume I do that rather than using Imac connection.
I was able to quit Fusion and then connect with Imac settings so we have solved part of the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
oh, it's you, patricci! I helped you before with your family history dates. How's that goin'?

Anyway. So you want to connect to the internet from Windows but maintain connection on the Mac side? Bridging is how to do it, but on dialup...

when you run Fusion, set View to Single Window. There should be USB symbols (I have a set of five or six) in the bottom right hand corner. Hovering over them displays the name of the device. Currently when you start, is your modem displayed there? Does it connect (is it bright blue rather than grayed out)?
I bought Open office then discovered it was not Mac compliant so I downloaded Neoofice and that works fine.
Back after I check your Q re USB Symbols. I have seen them but don't remember the color. Should I just switch back and forth from Fusion? I have been powering off as I needed to do that to connect.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well that was interesting!!!
I stayed connected and I opened Fusion.
I checked USB modem. It was blue.
I unplugged then replugged.

now I don't remember what Happened. I do remember I put Fusion in another mode (not quitting) and switched to Mac side and Tried to connect. It kept saying connecting but did not.Then I tried disconnecting and it kept saying disconnecting. Shut down Fusion.
I could not quit Mac side. Kept getting spinning color wheel. I tried to force quit and after a few tries it finally did.
I opened Mac and connected and am writing this.
Que pasa?
I still need to figure out how to connect to Internet within Fusion.

Reaction score
You do not need to use your USB modem in Fusion to connect to the internet. Start Fusion, Start your virtual machine(XP/Vista/et al.) Click Virtual Machine on your Fusion Menu Bar, scroll down to USB and disconnect all the USB connections. Enable only those USB connections that you need at a given time, ie. an external drive. Make sure that under Network, NAT is selected. Connect via USB Modem thru OSX. Your Windows VM will share that connection to access the internet/isp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
You do not need to use your USB modem in Fusion to connect to the internet. Start Fusion, Start your virtual machine(XP/Vista/et al.) Click Virtual Machine on your Fusion Menu Bar, scroll down to USB and disconnect all the USB connections. Enable only those USB connections that you need at a given time, ie. an external drive. Make sure that under Network, NAT is selected. Connect via USB Modem thru OSX. Your Windows VM will share that connection to access the internet/isp.

Yeah what he said, you want to make sure that fusion is not connected/hijacking your modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.