Web Problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
My Daughter's new Mac can't access her work website. She says she needs IE and the version of IE that works for her Mac is too old. I had her try Firefox and she says that doesn't work either. I'll try to get some more specific info (error messages etc.) and update this. She's away at college right now. I'm a PC guy so I'm really kind of lost here. I think it may be an issue with her employers web developer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's a six month old MacBook running OS X. Not the latest one, the one before. (Tiger?) thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you could give us a URL we might be able to help more

Sometimes you can get those IE only sites to work

There are an awful lot of lazily coded non Standards compliant sites out there. That's a shame since the whole idea of the Internet is to be open to all systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
She could use Crossover to run the Windows version of Internet Explorer inside OS X. It works pretty good and saves the trouble of having to dual-boot or use Fusion/Parallels to load Windows in a window just to run a web browser. Crossover will walk you through the steps of downloading and installing IE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
Another idea: have her get the Firefox browser, then direct her to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59 - User Agent Switcher.

Then when she goes to her work website, beforehand, she changes Firefox to tell the site that it is, in fact, IE6, and it'll work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
i use that add on works wonders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Another idea: have her get the Firefox browser, then direct her to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59 - User Agent Switcher.

Then when she goes to her work website, beforehand, she changes Firefox to tell the site that it is, in fact, IE6, and it'll work fine.

yea.. It kinda works for me. It is really buggy though. My windows only website kinda displays but there are fragments of code everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for her to tell her work that they need to buy her a PC laptop to work with if it is that needed for her to do her job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
My work has some IE only websites as well. For those websites to work, I can only use IE (agent switching doesn't work). This is a good time for your daughter to either purchase Leopard and use boot camp or get Parallels or Fusion. Some of the sites at my work use some IE only Javascript.

Unfortunately there are some times when you need IE...

OP
biguglyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none
Thank you all for the quick replies. I'll forward them to her asap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
At work we use Microsoft Contact Relationship Manager (CRM). It requires IE 6+. So I am forced to use a PC. But recently we bought VMware Fusion and it just kicks butt =)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.