CrossOver?

Reaction score
I just downloaded a 30 day trial of the program CrossOver.. it basically lets you run EXEs on the mac! It does not support a whole lot of EXEs yet.. but it does support STEAM which means I can finally play CS on the mac.

The problem is... the program creates an imaginary windows and all installed applications (EXEs) go there.. there's an option that says "open C drive", I click it and it opens me an actual C drive with windows folder, program files, system 32 and etc... What I want to know is what if I want to remove the program... will it remove all the windows folders it created as well? Also, how can I access those folders (or track down the exact location once I am in the folder) without clicking open C drive on the program.. I want to be able to access them and make sure they are gone if I remove the CrossOver application. (note that finder can't find any of those)

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of work. Why don't you just use Windows in conjunction with Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
because crossover means you don't have to pay money for windows... unless you pirate a copy of windows which is illegal...

OP
B
Reaction score
look it up on google... 30 day trial is available and then its 60 bucks..
worth it to run EXE files integrated with mac? maybe... once it supports it will be worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Crossover is running a "bottle"...a micro-environment that contains the code and instructions necessary to make an .exe run without having the overhead of an entire OS to worry about. If I recall correctly, CrossOver stores each of these "bottles" in your home folder somewhere.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can also try DarWINE which is free and uses the same foundations as CrossOver. I believe the primary benefit of CrossOver is that they actually provide support.

Just keep in mind that WINE-based products are more or less hacks, so it will be pretty hit or miss as to what works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.