G5 question

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That would be two processors, that run at 2 GHz each (2 - 2Ghz). :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure that would equate to 4 GHz. I believe that your code or application must optimized to run.

OP
H

hokiethang

yeah its symmetric multiprocessing. therefore you get the equivalent of two 2Ghz machines working on the same code at the same time. Dual processors dont add, it pretty much is the work is distributed to less-busy processors. PCs do it this way as well. the programs that take advantage of dual processors are multi-threaded so the program can utilize the processors as its written. Most programs though arent multi-threaded so, they will run on processor one, while the other sits either doing work for the operating system or waiting for instructions, unless the operating system has the ability to assign processes to certain processors where then the os keeps both processors busy automatically. Its late, and this probably makes very little sense.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, hokiethang. That is what I was planning to put into word. It is very clear to me. :)

OP
R

Ripped85

ooo ok...i got ya, I'm still confused how the new P4 beat the G5 dual in photoshop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Where did you see this? From the DEMO at WWDC it looked to me like the G5 beat the P4.

OP
H

hokiethang

Ripped85 said:
i'm not sure, i think it was Tech-Tv

Tech-TV hasnt had their hands on one yet to my knowledge. The keynote presentation was very very convincing when it comes to showing the comparision of the two systems. I am not sure if they are still showing the keynote, but the photoshop comparison was very convincing in the keynote. as it took the pc a couple of minutes to do what the g5 did in less than a minute and a half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
tech tv.. is just techtv... they rnt the brightest of the techies
or techies at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.