I want to smash my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
Alright, I've got to admit that I want to smash my Macbook. I just opened it up to find my iTunes library is "corrupted" which wiped out my music library and now for some reson or another I opened up Safari and all of my settings went bye bye and it's forgotten which homepage I had entered in and other "settings" Is there some sort of reset button that I mashed by accident? Never had any troubles till tonight and I haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary with my machine. Anyone know a good iTunes how to site? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you by any chance rename your Home folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Sounds to me like something has happened to your User LIbrary... perhaps even your entire Home folder like dtravis suggested. You may not have actually lost your music itself, in fact you likely haven't, so let's take a deep breath, calm down, and let's figure out what happened. Specifically... did you rename your Home folder? Did you delete any folders/files, no matter how innocuous they may seem? Does anyone else have access to your Mac?

Go to the Users folder and see if you have duplicated your username somehow. If your User was deleted and recreated for some reason, I believe you will see a folder labeled "Deleted Users", from what I can recall. Check all that... check the Music subfolders of your user(s) and the iTunes LIbrary folder and see if your music is still there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Just for curiosity's sake, if you haven't renamed your home folder, try removing your library from iTunes and re-adding the folders. My wife's PC iTunes did this same thing... it "lost" her entire music collection when it was plainly viewable in Windows...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.