Not Reading commercial cds

Reaction score
Hi guys, just switched over to using a mac (G4 power mac with Tiger) for my music production and hit a snag already.

The G4 will not load commercial discs? In this i mean Genuine discs for Reason 4, Cubase 4 and all my cover discs from Computer Music or Future Music. Oddly the G4 did except my old Reason 3 discs. All my other discs that i've burnt up in the past on my old pc which contain mp3's, wavs etc. open and play ok.

I've tried my disc cleaner as well. All discs will open up in windows with out problems so i reckon these are not faulty discs. There must be a setting somewhere in Tiger that i'm missing (again new to the OS of tiger)

Anyone have any similar problems and suggest what to try?

Reaction score
Hi guys, just switched over to using a mac (G4 power mac with Tiger) for my music production and hit a snag already.

The G4 will not load commercial discs? In this i mean Genuine discs for Reason 4, Cubase 4 and all my cover discs from Computer Music or Future Music. Oddly the G4 did except my old Reason 3 discs. All my other discs that i've burnt up in the past on my old pc which contain mp3's, wavs etc. open and play ok.

I've tried my disc cleaner as well. All discs will open up in windows with out problems so i reckon these are not faulty discs. There must be a setting somewhere in Tiger that i'm missing (again new to the OS of tiger)

Anyone have any similar problems and suggest what to try?

Sounds like the drive is on it's way out to be honest. I lost a couple on my old G4 tower. Luckily the replacement superdrive was just over £20 and fitted really quickly. Could be something else but I doubt it..

Rimmer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
the pioneer drives also work well

I have a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D in mine, works a treat

OP
T
Reaction score
I've got to agree, it does seem that reading between the lines that the drive is probably on its way out. I've been trolling through various forum pages on the web this afternoon and a lot of then say that the DVD drives especially in G4's seem to bite the dust. I've now tried every cover disc which a bloody lot in my collection and also a genuine Reason tutorial by ASK video which isn't excepted. There all spat out after approx 10 seconds.

I'm in the UK, were did buy your replacements? Like the sound of the Pioneer drive, any others that are hopefully fail safe to look at?

Thanks on the quick responses by the way, was so hoping to be getting on the music writing case during the holiday break before back to work, sod's law i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
cannot remember where I bought it

I just googled (froogled) pioneer dvd drive, they are about £17

Reaction score
I've got to agree, it does seem that reading between the lines that the drive is probably on its way out. I've been trolling through various forum pages on the web this afternoon and a lot of then say that the DVD drives especially in G4's seem to bite the dust. I've now tried every cover disc which a bloody lot in my collection and also a genuine Reason tutorial by ASK video which isn't excepted. There all spat out after approx 10 seconds.

I'm in the UK, were did buy your replacements? Like the sound of the Pioneer drive, any others that are hopefully fail safe to look at?

Thanks on the quick responses by the way, was so hoping to be getting on the music writing case during the holiday break before back to work, sod's law i guess.

I think I got the same drive as Louishen. Either that or it was the 112. I found the recommendation from XLR8YOURMAC. Check the Drive Compatibility database. I think I posted a review on there myself.

I ordered the drive online. Check the database and then order away. There are quite a few ones that simply plug in. Cheap and easy..

Rimmer

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, now on the case :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.