CD collection ripped but...

Reaction score
... no album artwork in iTunes' Cover Flow View or Album View. Media Player on my Windows box shows album artwork. Do I need to tell iTunes to download the artwork, I thought it was automatic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
itunes does do a fair job, but misses the odd album. You will need an account on the itunes store for it to work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check iTunes Preferences and the General Tab. Be sure "Automatically Download Missing Album Artwork" is checked.

And louishen is correct, you need an iTunes account on the iTunes store for it to work.

OP
drh3010
Reaction score
Well, it sorta worked.

The CD artwork seems to be based on songs, not albums, and many of them are wrong.

I can understand not having the artwork for a K-Tel type "Billboard's top hits of 1965" but Aerosmith's Greatest Hits and Toys in the Attic are both a picture of some guy at a gas pump with the Aerosmith logo on his shirt.

Also, there is no artwork for any of The Beatles albums.

Apparently iTunes and Media Player don't use the same database. Not a big deal. My guess is that it's a community project and I need to upload those images somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What I do is go to Amazon, find the album, copy the artwork, and then paste it into iTunes or WMP. This way you can virtually guarantee the artwork you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Also, there is no artwork for any of The Beatles albums.

Apparently iTunes and Media Player don't use the same database. Not a big deal. My guess is that it's a community project and I need to upload those images somewhere.
They don't use the same database. WMP uses one and iTunes uses the iTunes store for artwork.

There is no The Beatles artwork because iTunes does not have The Beatles available for sale.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I do is go to Amazon, find the album, copy the artwork, and then paste it into iTunes or WMP. This way you can virtually guarantee the artwork you want.

That is what I do also with the Artwork that is not in the ITMS Database.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Like me, itunes did a lot of the work and then I had to do a few bits manually, especially with the obscure music I often listen to

Reaction score
all my Aerosmith was automatic, so thats odd. but i had to copy/paste about 10 beatles albums, seeing as the store carries no beatles.

800+ songs turned out to be a 12 hour project one lonely weekend =)

good luck with your findings!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.