Maybe switching my mom....but i have some questions first

Reaction score
Allright,

So my mom has a PC....still.
But she gets impatient VERY quickly, and the other day her Bejeweled game wouldnt run, she was P.Oed!
And her (dial up) internet wont load web sites.....in aol. Wow, im shocked;D
But every time she goes (annoyed sigh) UGH, while on the computer,
i just respond
"You should buy a mac!"

And i think recnently shes thinking abouti it, she normally would respond with a 'yeah right...'' or a 'yeah, because i know how to work one! and money GROWS on trees!"
but now she responede today with a "Well then you can give me YOURS!"
Still sarcastic, but its coming along!

ANyway,
i think she is just afraid of trying something new, shes not a computer person but she can do basic things.
Besides getting her to use the mac (i think she will come around eventually, she even said "Well, maybe when this one craps out" about her PC), the only real problem is the programs that she uses, which is hardly any, just a couple games and some others.

1) Bejeweled-but i just read thats out on mac. so thats good.
2) aol-but aol connect is on mac-not an issure there.
3) Cubis-she plays this online, but is trying to get it online on a CD-idk if its on mac
4) SUPER collapse--thats on mac.

I cant think of anything else,
so i guess the only thing from keeping my mom from switching (besides herself) is CUBIS! gah.
Well ill keep bugging her until she gets so bored she goes on my mac....
and i'll see if her PC is worth selling or keeping until it croaks.

So if she gets more curious about a mac,
what would be a good starter mac????

Any suggestions?

I need to be able to run osx decently.

I guess i dont have as many questions as i thought.....
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I would suggest and iMac, or if she might be interested in a notebook the middle line MacBook. Or even a Mac Mini is she already has a monitor since it doesn't seem like she really does much I actually would suggest the Mac Mini, but don't take my opinion to seriously as I have only had a mac for 2 months so you should probably get some more opinions in here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I can't give much of an opinion but I've been reading a few posts, it seems that for heavy gamers, mac isn't a good one, but for games like bejewelled the mini will probably be sufficient, heavier games would probably require imac or something... I'm in the process of putting some of those type games on my mac mini (on my parallels side - but leopard comes with bootcamp so she might not have to give up on cubis if she finds no mac alternative.) So in time, I might be able to tell you how they run... A game she might try tho is snood, my mother is addicted to it hehe

Hopefully others will chime in cause I wouldn't want to steer you wrong but check or ask in the 'OS X - Applications and Games' forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
i've been trying to get my mom to switch sincei bought mine last year. she fits the same bill...doesn't know much about computers, but uses a PC all day at work. my brother is anti-mac so he will debunk everything i use to pitch the sale. i dont know enough about them to counter his retorts so its hard to convince her. i told her to get a mac mini because i have an extra 19" lcd that i dont use. so i told her she should get the base model and she'd be good to go.

Reaction score
Cubis online will work with any version of OSX after 10.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
i've been trying to get my mom to switch sincei bought mine last year. she fits the same bill...doesn't know much about computers, but uses a PC all day at work. my brother is anti-mac so he will debunk everything i use to pitch the sale. i dont know enough about them to counter his retorts so its hard to convince her. i told her to get a mac mini because i have an extra 19" lcd that i dont use. so i told her she should get the base model and she'd be good to go.

Here's the standard response to your brother: If he says a Mac can't do such-and-such, say "Yeah it can." If he claims you can't get this or that for it, say "Yeah you can". If he says Macs are only good for whatnot or another, say "That's baloney. You can do anything." That should pretty much settle it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
my brother is anti-mac so he will debunk everything i use to pitch the sale.

Just ask your brother how many viruses he's had, how many anti virus, spamware, adware etc apps he has to run. And how long does his set-up lasts before he has to do a clean install of Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.