Switcher's remorse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Unibody White
I've had my MacBook almost 2 months now and I love it, but lately I seem bored with it. Ok maybe bored isn't the word... I feel like I get things done quickly and then find myself with nothing to do.

On my pc, I would use the time between projects to defrag, tweak, optimize, customize scan for viruses and spyware and re-arrange my files so I could find them later. Since I got the MacBook I don't do any of that anymore...

Is this just a phase? Or part of the switching process? Maybe I should just go off and take pictures and hope it passes...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Now you have moe time for life ;) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Get used to it, lol. I find myself getting done with what I need to get done in very short order (check my email & forecast in the morning) by virtue of the fact that I just look at the dock to see if I have any new mail, then use the weather dashboard widget to see the weather. It's awesome in the morning... that same stuff would take 5-10 minutes before I got a Mac, now it's literally 30 seconds. That's precious sleep time, lol... especially since I get up at 4:30AM to drive in to work.

Reaction score
I have noticed that somewhat,
how do i cure it?
Buy more macs.
Take my advice,
dont to it.
We have my PowerMac G4 DA,
a PowerMac 5400,
a QuickSilver,
2 iMac G3's,
One, two, three, FOUR PowerBook G3s (2 more broken wallstreets).

How many get used daily?
Well my DA,
one iMac,
The QuickSilver.

The rest get used occasionally.
Everyone in my immediate family has a mac except my mother.
And her PC bugging her.
Shes the type of person who gets annoyed when the computer doesnt work at everything and anything-recently, her Bjeweled game wouldnt run.
OH MAN THAT DAY SUCKED.

Im thinking about switching her,
but the couple of games she does play i dont think run on mac.
ACtually i was going to make a thread on that right now and i saw this one.

Anyway,
I agree with rman,
i have more time do to things i SHOULD be doing instead of being on the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Wow, I actually have been feeling exactly that! It's weird isn't it? It's almost like PC's were more fun, I guess when I'm one of those people who likes to fix things especially computers and since my mac never breaks well I guess I get bored, I'm never going back to windows, but maybe I'll get a job as an IT Admin or something, than i get to fix stuff and don't have to deal with that in my free time.

But on a more serious note and more on topic note , I really do have more free time with my Mac I get everything done much more quickly and efficiently and this leaves me with more free time to practice my guitar, sleep, and just relax, it's pretty awesome I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Oh glad someone said it lol I thought I was just TOO spoiled hehe

Before I got this, I was on PC was really wanting to get more into graphics and webpage design.. I found myself fighting with my programs more and more so didn't have the time to devote to it... Now I'm going to be able to take the time to get into these things! Maybe mac programming too hehe (as soon as I give up on my old PC bad habit lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I was kind of thinking the same thing as well but more along the lines of, am I going to lose my problem solving skills? With a PC there were problems and you would try all these different things to get it to work or work around it. The only problem I have had on my MBP is one time iTunes would freeze up on start up. It was because I didn't have my external HD plugged in!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is one reason I keep a few PC's around. When I get the urge to mess around with computer hardware I have an outlet! That is when I am not fixing systems for friends and clients. :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
but maybe I'll get a job as an IT Admin or something, than i get to fix stuff and don't have to deal with that in my free time.

that's what i do. it's nice to know that 99% of the time i'm dealing with windows related issues, i'm getting paid for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I find my mac a lot more fun than my previous Desktop PC....
I find that there are a lot more things that I can do with it...
there are a ton of cool apps that you can play around with. and you don't have to waste time to install something just to try it, normally, I just run an app I have downloaded right in the disk image just to see if it is what I wanted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I've had my MacBook almost 2 months now and I love it, but lately I seem bored with it. Ok maybe bored isn't the word... I feel like I get things done quickly and then find myself with nothing to do.

On my pc, I would use the time between projects to defrag, tweak, optimize, customize scan for viruses and spyware and re-arrange my files so I could find them later. Since I got the MacBook I don't do any of that anymore...

Is this just a phase? Or part of the switching process? Maybe I should just go off and take pictures and hope it passes...

Take pictures, mess around with them, make some videos, surf youtube and save the ones you like? Create a website with iWeb, play around with Garageband, sort your music.... Surf apple and check out the downloads/widgets....

I get bored sometimes too but only because I hadn't gone out and taken pictures that day.... LOL...

You'll find your nitch and you won't be bored anymore...

Reaction score
I can't get my breath!!!:eek:

Have you people considered some kind of professional help, such as therapy?:)

OP
Fiasco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't get my breath!!!:eek:

Have you people considered some kind of professional help, such as therapy?:)

No, have you? ;)

OP
Fiasco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take pictures, mess around with them, make some videos, surf youtube and save the ones you like? Create a website with iWeb, play around with Garageband, sort your music.... Surf apple and check out the downloads/widgets....

I get bored sometimes too but only because I hadn't gone out and taken pictures that day.... LOL...

You'll find your nitch and you won't be bored anymore...

You may be right... I think I'll use the free time to figure out my new DSLR camera and improve my photography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be right... I think I'll use the free time to figure out my new DSLR camera and improve my photography.
Go for it photography really is a great thing... I just picked it up last year and have been really into it since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You need a hobby. Take up photography or music (Logic Express?), or catch up on some classic TV series, or take up running, martial arts etc. Watching a defrag has to be worse that watching paint dry, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need a hobby. Take up photography or music (Logic Express?), or catch up on some classic TV series, or take up running, martial arts etc. Watching a defrag has to be worse that watching paint dry, no?

No... I actually enjoy watching and studying status bars, weird eh?!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
No... I actually enjoy watching and studying status bars, weird eh?!:Smirk:

LOL - that's pretty weird.

I used to love keeping my PC tip-top, in fact my VM in Parallels now gets a lot of care and attention, even though I only run MS Money within it. It's a hard habit to shake! I feel your pain bro!

Reaction score
A hobby

Here's a suggestion that would help ease the no-fiddle blues. Just for kicks, get a cheap G3 with at least 256 megs of RAM and running OS 9.2.2 (making sure it has the proper install/repair disks). Partition the drive into two, then find a copy of Norton Utilities for OS 9. Load Norton into at least one partition to keep the other one in top condition (or load Norton in each to keep each runnning properly). Then you could run disk repairs and defrags to your heart's content. Play with the extensions folder and control-panels folder. If you screw it up, just copy over the system folder from the other partition, and all will be well again.

Load one partition with Mozilla 1.3.1 and a couple of Firefox extensions.

All of this will take days or weeks, :) but you'll learn a lot about the whys and wherefores of OS X because a lot of it functions like OS 9. But with 9, it's more transparent and easier to figure out. 9 and X have many parallels, though it's the far-different coding that makes it so.

The best part, though, would be to connect the G3 to your OS X machine on a network or through Target mode. This would make the OS X system file child's play to fiddle with. OS 9 is a great OS X fixer-upper. Nothing is off-limits. It bypasses nearly every fail-safe there is. Only one f'rinstance: There's no clogged X trash that 9 can't empty.

Learning 9 as a hobby will give you back what you lost — the constant computer hand-holding — though there's a lot less of it with 9 than with Windows — and widen the possibilities with what you would learn about X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
If you like problem solving, then why not take up programming? Its different than fixing things but it certainly helps logical problem solving and different ways of coding solutions.
You have a choice of plain GCC, XCode, PHP, or Real Basic depending on your skills and you can write programs to do stuff you normally have to look or pay for...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.