New to the Mac World

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

I’m hoping you can help a newbie out. I purchased a new Mac Book for my wife for Christmas.

Unfortunately neither of us has any real experience with Mac.

I currently have a couple of issues I’m hoping you can help with.

My wife accesses a mainframe system for work. The system she uses requires the usage of the F1-F24 function keys. So far I haven’t been able to get anything higher than an f12 function key to work.

My second problem comes from the web application she uses. She is using IBM Websphere Accelerator app to update content on a site. This application hasn’t worked correctly on any browser I’ve tried on the Mac Book. She was using IE on her old machine to access the application. I would love to hear from anyone if they have a recommendation. IBM has told the company they officially only support IE.

Please, please help me out. It took me two years to convince my wife to make the switch, and currently she can’t get any work done on this fabulous machine.

Thanks,
B-RadL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Wow B-RadL I didn't even know there were function keys past F12 :eek: and looked at my mac keyboard and realized it goes to F13.. thanks for widening my view hehe.. I imagine you could get adding function by keyboard mapping or macros?

As for the IBM (and for the F keys), leopard comes with bootcamp or you could purchase (or use the trial temporarily of) parallels unless or until a mac alternative is found. This is also an OK way for just getting yourself mac-attuned. Anyways hopefully someone will come up with a better answer..

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
:Oops: mac goes to F16

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
F keys

Just looking at my iMac keyboard , there are 19 F keys,maybe that's the way to go. Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Unfourtunetly, the buisness world dosen't have the reputation for huge support of Macs. It sounds to me like your Wife's work requires a PC for access. Just like other tasks, sometimes you need specialized tools to do the job (Some screws use phillips head, some use straight slot). In this case, you need IE which you'll only get in Windows.

BootCamp is definetly your best option. Turns your Mac into a multi-function tool.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
If you can't get the IBM web-software to work with Firefox, Safari, Opera, or any other other Mac-available browsers - try ies4osx.

When accessing the mainframe - what is she using? SSH? Keymapping should be available. I've never actually owned a keyboard that went above F16-F19 so that seems like the keymapping is the best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.