• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS to Macbook question

Reaction score
My mom is trying to figure out if it is viable or realistic for her (not me) to take a old camcorder that has VHS type tapes and put them onto her Macbook. Now, it seems you have to connect this first to a Digital Camcorder with a AUX or whatever older video input record it on there. Then from there transfer it onto the Macbook via the Digital Camcorder. After that she wants to edit it and burn it to a DVD.

So my questions are:

Is this even doable?
Could you recommend a camcorder that is Apple compatible as well as having a AUX or some kind of old video input?
How long would it take to edit and is there additional software she would need to do it?

I told her this is way over her head. The Apple store of course made her believe how easy it would be and she spent a ton of money on the wrong camcorder (bought a $800 Sony Mini DVD one about a year ago-yet its not Mac compatible nor does it have the proper input).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I had one of those miniDVD camcorders when I bought my mac. I sold it on ebay to pay for one that is compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I used that to transfer VHS and 8mm tapes to my mac. Once you get a different camcorder you won't need that. Only if you want to import more VHS or other things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.