• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

what can we expect from a possible 60gig iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Hi, i was wondering what all you lot thought about what we can all expect from a future 60gig iPod? I personally hope that Apple will release future iPods with the same finish and colour as the mini iPod range, i'd love a silver one to match my powerbook.

C

ChicoWeb

I hope for longer battery life. I'd rather have a smaller HD with longer battery life.

P

PinkPhishDoors

I find the 20 gig enough for me and i have a heck of a lot of songs(2500) to be exact. 60 gigs would be nice if thy could fit it in the same size case.

O

octohunter

I personally feel upgrades in speed, size, and storage of everything are pretty much asumed at this point. I imagine we will eventually have so much storage in our ipods it will become moronic. Remember the tiny hard drives in the early years?

What we should really be pondering is the next generation mp3 player. Any ideas? size, capabilities, etc.?

O

octohunter

That's the spirit! How about a color display, a seperate backup drive without changing the case size, and how about itunes offering beter quality files. Maybe a full pda interface?

I

iSheep

Well the next step, which all other gadgets have moved to, is wireless.

Bluetooth iPod, anyone?

P

PinkPhishDoors

octohunter said:
That's the spirit! How about a color display, a seperate backup drive without changing the case size, and how about itunes offering beter quality files. Maybe a full pda interface?

Yes color would be amazing! Then you could color label songs, and menus. maybe some support for an external remote /with a menu control, instead of just <, >, and play/pause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Oooh, color! That sounds like fun. :)

I'd really like a stop button on the 60 gig iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok, you wil NEVER see a stop button on an iPod.

5 buttons is all we'll ever see.

I suggest:
-Line-in recording,
-airport express compatibility
-colour screen
-album art
-voice over ip compatibility ;)

H

hollerz1

iSheep said:
Bluetooth iPod, anyone?

No thanks! 10GB of music at ~30KB/s (thats what it transfers to my phone at anyway!). Would take way too long. Airport... now there's another story!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
iSheep: I think a stop button would be quite useful. I would really like to be able to stop songs on the iPod.

W

Wapa18

but that's what the pause button does. it's probably a power saving feature...if you pause the song, the music file and the ones after it stay in the cache, and it doesn't require the hard drive to spin up. if you stop it, it would clear the cache, and the hard drive would have to spin up and fill the cache with songs when you press play--using up more battery in the process. that might not be exactly why, but it seems like a logical explanation to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok: The whole stop button thing is a relic from the day's of cassette players...

The pause button would freeze playback, but not stop the mechanism. The top button would disengage the mechanism, causing a break when resuming play.

On a DIGITAL player, however it is quite a different matter. You have no playing mechanism - thus there is also no difference between STOP and PAUSE.

When you press STOP on a cassette deck, the music stops playing.
When you press PAUSE on your ipod, the music stops playing.

So what's the big deal?

The iPod doesn't just delete the cache when you 'Stop' it. It only reloads the cache when new music is selected.

And for those now going to say:"but i want it to turn off completly":

If you did have a "power-off" button, the iPod would have to reread the entire database every time you turned it on. with 10,000 songs that would take 2-5 minutes. Imagine having to wait that long every time you turned on?

Instead - the iPod 'sleeps' - saving it's cache contents and keeping the database ready.

P

pitythefool

Aptmunich said:
On a DIGITAL player, however it is quite a different matter. You have no playing mechanism - thus there is also no difference between STOP and PAUSE.

Just to be pedantic, when you stop on a CD player (which is, in effect, a digital player), CD stops spinning. When you pause, the CD stays spinning allowing for pretty much instantaneous playback etc.

However, I'll ignore all that jazz because on an iPod there is no need for a stop button as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to 'eject' a few bytes to play a new album :D

P

pitythefool

...and a colour screen to show the album art of the current song would be super-pimp!

I

iPod

Hey, I think there should be an A/V port on it. You know, like they have on DV cameras. That way you would be able to download clips from any supported quicktime format onto the ipod then with the right cable, watch your imovies and what not on TV. Why not even write an app to rip DVD footage. Something that cool would be enough to make me get a new one!

M

Maxp0wer2004

Reply to the first post:

I think a 60 GB iPod should be faster, possible color screen,
more choices in color, one to match PowerBook, they already did it with the Cinema Displays, why not iPod?

It should have more control over the music, i dont know how, exactly, but it should.

It should be kind of like the Newton from the 90's(but better), and be an orgranizer for information.

This is what i think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.