Happy Switcher with a question about icons

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here (and yes, I did search first). I just got a Macbook Pro for Christmas, and it's my family's first Mac. Everything's working perfectly, except for a very minor complaint.

I don't like the Opera dock icon because of how off-centered it looks. I've downloaded this
icon and dragged (and copy/pasted, just to be sure) it into the Opera "Get Info" window, and the icon changes... to the Preview icon, instead of showing the actual image. I've tried converting the (.png) file to .jpg and .icns with the same problem.

Here is a picture showing my problem, with the icons from left to right being Preview, the original Opera icon (from a copy I made to avoid reinstalling Opera if it didn't work), and the new Opera icon

and another showing my array of browsers (I still haven't decided what to use, and left Thunderbird in there by mistake) and how the Opera icon doesn't fit in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
My Opera icon is also off center--don't know of any way to change it. It is the only such misfit that I have encountered.

capture.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Most likely Opera takes it's icon from an internal source file, so copy and pasting like most app icon switches wont work. You're probably going to need an icon management application. There are several free ones I've heard mentioned but I've never used any but I bet someone else has a few they can recommend.

Question, why use opera anyway?

Welcome to the forum by the way, and enjoy your new life as a mac user!

Reaction score
When you dragged the new icon into Opera's 'Get Info' window were you dragging/cut 'n pasting the icon file? Try..
1. Opening the .icns' 'Get Info' window
2. Copying the icon preview of the .icns
3. Paste it over Opera's icon preview in 'Get Info'

That should work for you, I've had problem before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The Opera Icon has a 'shadow'. Taken as one (ie 'O' plus it's shadow) it is centered just as it's supposed to be. But I agree it looks odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
you need to open the new image/icon in preview first
then copy the image and paste it in operas get info window....
If you just click on the icon of the new icon, you will just get the picture for that file extension

But I agree with mikepugs, opera probably gets it's dock icon from its internal files...

OP
N
Reaction score
I just tried NPuter's suggestion and it worked, although I could've sworn I had done that before. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I'm glad it worked...
It frustrated me too when I was doing this for the first time

BTW: did my suggestion also change the dock icon...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.