• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help - Be My Conscience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I need to purchase a new bed; my futon is in poor shape.
I had asked for Ikea gift cards from my parents and they will cover most of this $180 bed frame I was looking at. For the time, I'd reuse my current matress and foam topper but I'd eventually need a nice, new matress. Anything I look at is $400+ for a queen matress.
My g/f's favorite bed and what I think is the most comfortable bed at Ikea is that $900 round bed. She's pushing me to get it.
I just sold one of my guitars yesterday so with that $ and the gift cards, I got half of the $900.
I will get paid 3x in February so I will have a "bonus" 2 week paycheck and a nice tax refund coming back around the same time, so money really isn't a issue. I don't have any student loans or anything to pay off so I would just save the $ otherwise for that new CRX to come out in 2010 or so.
I am just having trouble justifying the purchase of a $1000 bed after taxes and few sets of sheets and stuff. I just feel like the novelty of a round bed would wear off quickly and i'd just feel guilty for spending that much on a bed.

M

MacHeadCase

It's really a round bed? IMO that's not a good idea at all.

You'll have to get special bed linen because it doesn't have a regular shape i.e. like queen size or king size, for example, and you will have to go to specialized stores for your bed linen and covers and they could very well be more expensive because of their odd shape.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's really a round bed? IMO that's not a good idea at all.

You'll have to get special bed linen because it doesn't have a regular shape i.e. like queen size or king size, for example, and you will have to go to specialized stores for your bed linen and covers and they could very well be more expensive because of their odd shape.

Agreed. Even the pillow-top mattresses can be hard to find mattress pads and sheets for (you need deep-pocketed ones), let alone a round bed. Save yourself some cash and buy a normal, rectangular mattress and frame. Even a good mattress only lasts about 10 years or so, this way you'll be able to easily replace it without having to get another new frame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
If you're going to spend that much, I'd suggest one of those inflatable beds - as the condition of your back changes, you can adjust the pressure. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, the least you can do is be as comfortable as possible.

Also, what if you're tall? A round bed may mean that one foot is always hanging off the edge...

M

MacHeadCase

Memory foam mattresses (Tempur) are really good. I dunno how much they cost in the US but here they are outrageously priced.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It comes with a pillow topper and Ikea sells sheets for the bed.
They don't advertise the bed on the web; it's only store item, otherwise I'd link you to it. It's really a round bed.
It can break into 4 parts which would act as chairs. All I have now is a Lovesac so makeshift chairs would be a plus. My studio now isn't big, I think the living room is only 300 sqft. It's a little large for me so when I move, it might be a touch smaller so versitile furniture helps and why I bought a futon last year.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going to spend that much, I'd suggest one of those inflatable beds - as the condition of your back changes, you can adjust the pressure. You spend 1/3 of your life in bed, the least you can do is be as comfortable as possible.

Also, what if you're tall? A round bed may mean that one foot is always hanging off the edge...

It's big enough. I'm 6' but I sleep in the fetal position so there is plenty of room.

Memory foam mattresses (Tempur) are really good. I dunno how much they cost in the US but here they are outrageously priced.

Yea, I was thinking about that. My parents have one and it's nice. I think I've seen knock offs on eBay nearing $800. That's a little to much if I still ned a frame.

M

MacHeadCase

The problem with Ikea is they do stop making furniture when they feel like it's out of date and then, if you do go for that bed and it's discontinued, what will you do for buying sheets and covers if they are the only ones that sell them? Hopefully they'll still continue manufacturing them but at a certain point, I can only imagine it'll be very hard for you to find new ones because they simply won't sell them anymore.

Don't get me wrong: I love Ikea. In fact, if you were to take away all the furniture and accessories we bought there, you'd notice we have a very nice hardwood floor. ;D

Also consider when you move: a round bed will be hard to fit in a small room, you have all that wasted space because it isn't a rectangular shape. If you need bedside tables, etc. it might quickly become a hassle.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
New CRX.

Edit:
Mattress on floor.
New CRX.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I moved out from the parentals last year I had a bookshelf and the Lovesac. I bought everything from Ikea. Thanks for the heads up about their business model, that's kinds shady...

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It's not often when I post questions. Thanks your the input, much to consider.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slated for 2010 or 2011. It was recently at the Tokyo auto show.
It's called a CRZ or something. It's a 2 seater hybrid, to be the cheapest hybrid on the market.
I will find an article or pix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
well, wouldn't you fall off?

700th post, WOOT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Slated for 2010 or 2011. It was recently at the Tokyo auto show.
It's called a CRZ or something. It's a 2 seater hybrid, to be the cheapest hybrid on the market.
I will find an article or pix.

Oh, I've seen it. Trust me...I can't wait.

My friend has an 89 CRX. It is amazing. I can't believe they stopped making them slash replaced them with the Del Sol.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I've seen it. Trust me...I can't wait.

My friend has an 89 CRX. It is amazing. I can't believe they stopped making them slash replaced them with the Del Sol.

WHAAA!!!! I guess you missed my little banner at the bottom.
I've never driven a CRX before. I agree it wasn't the best move to make the del Sol the replacement for the CRX, such a beloved car by many. The del Sol was a flop by comparrison but I love my del Sol.
I'd only give it up for a new, hybrid. I've been itching to sell/ trade my Sol for a Insight but the CR-Z would be the ultimate car.

For those who haven't seen, CR-Z.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've never driven a CRX before. I agree it wasn't the best move to make the del Sol the replacement for the CRX, such a beloved car by many. The del Sol was a flop by comparrison but I love my del Sol.
I'd only give it up for a new, hybrid. I've been itching to sell/ trade my Sol for a Insight but the CR-Z would be the ultimate car.

Is it definitely "a go" for production? I saw it in C&D, but I thought it was just a concept/design study type of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

I like the del Sol. But that fact remains that Honda has never made a better car than the CRX (well...maybe the Prelude, simply because I have one :p).

I agree. I will consider selling my Prelude for the new CRZ.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it definitely "a go" for production? I saw it in C&D, but I thought it was just a concept/design study type of thing.

I think that's how I heard about, from C&D. It sounded like it was going into production. But I don't work for Honda, so anything is a rumor I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
When I moved out from the parentals last year I had a bookshelf and the Lovesac. I bought everything from Ikea. Thanks for the heads up about their business model, that's kinds shady...

It's not really shady, it's just business. No company supports their products or sells the same merchandise forever. It would be like me saying Apple is shady because they don't sell the Apple II any longer.

It's ALWAYS a bad idea to purchase something completely non-standard unless you're willing to throw away the investment at any given moment when it's no longer supported.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not really shady, it's just business. No company supports their products or sells the same merchandise forever. It would be like me saying Apple is shady because they don't sell the Apple II any longer.

It's ALWAYS a bad idea to purchase something completely non-standard unless you're willing to throw away the investment at any given moment when it's no longer supported.

The Apple II is 20 years old. If Apple discontinued the Mini today, they still are required to support it. I thought that there was some sort of law forcing companies to support their products for a certain period. I am not talking about a warranty.
If I bought a new Honda and I broke a tail light I should have the ability to by a replacement are 2 years after I buy even if the model is no longer made.
Ikea could discontinue making the bed after I would purchase it. I should still have the ability to buy sheets or a new topper six months later. Any company that doesn't offer any support within a reasonable time once a product is discontinued is shady.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The Apple II is 20 years old. If Apple discontinued the Mini today, they still are required to support it. I thought that there was some sort of law forcing companies to support their products for a certain period. I am not talking about a warranty.
Nope. No such law exists and nobody can force them to support something.
A company can cease support on whatever they like, whenever they like.
Even warranties have the "escape clause" that says something to the tune of 'we can change this whenever we want...blah, blah, blah'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.