hd dvd on mac

Reaction score
hi all
I currently have a 20 inch core duo imac with the 512meg graphics card.
I have bought a hd dvd drive for my xbox, and as we know it will work on the mac. My question is : does anyone know how long till mac will support hd dvd playback. Will vlc bring an updated player out soon to handle it??
Im not too wise when it comes to hd on a computer screen, so when they eventually do support it, will i be able too notice a difference between hd dvd and dvd on my imacs display? is my imacs screen high definition?
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Mac OS X cannot play HD DVD or Bluray as of yet. There is no software support.

Quicktime can play high def, but not those encoded in the formats used by HD DVD and Bluray.

Now, even when there is in fact support for HD DVD or Bluray, you cannot play them on your iMac cause the screen is not HDCP compliant. So you will see a downgraded image instead of clear picture (much like DVD).

As for the difference between DVD and HD, on the 20" display, will not be earth shattering. Unless of course you sit really close to the display. If you sit somewhere at 6 feet away, you will definitely not be able to tell the difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Also, your iMac's screen is High def, but not full-HD as it is called. For that, you will need a 24" display to project 1920*1080p video. It is, however, more than the required resolution to be high def (1280*720 is minimum for HD)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And to be perfectly honest, I would imagine Apple will support Blu-ray before HD DVD considering Apple is on the Blu-ray board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
With Jobs on the Disney board and Disney in the Blu-Ray camp, don't expect HD DVD support anytime soon on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.