Spring thing

Reaction score
The spring thing with the @ on it...that opens Apple site. I somehow got it to open Pandora Radio, but I forgot how I did it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That spring loaded icon shows up whenever you drag a link from Safari's address bar to the Dock. You could just go to Pandora's site and then drag the link down to the Dock and you'll have a spring-loaded icon that points to Pandora. You can do the same for pretty much any site.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I dragged the link to the dock, and I get what looks like a white sheet of paper with the @ on it.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Update...did a little cut and paste, and I fixed it. Had to keep a copy in a folder for it to work. Thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
In Safari, you have to grab the icon next to the URL in the address bar for the spring to show up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Never knew you could do that - of course, don't think I would ever use it - but still pretty cool - works in Opera also....

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
The fastest way I know to find the icon is to simply copy and paste the following bold text into Terminal.app, an application you can find in Applications -> Utilities on your Mac:

$ open /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/url.png

That's the icon you seek. Now, to use it...

In your browser, go to a page you want to bookmark - and drag the little icon out of the Address Bar (or the tab for the page if you're in multi-tab mode) onto the desktop.

and when you drop it, it'll convert into a little page with an @ on it.

Now just change the icon, which can be done by going back into Preview and choosing Edit -> Copy, then going to the desktop shortcut, clicking it once, then choosing File -> Get Info.

Now click on the icon in the top left of the Get Info window and, oh so subtly, you'll see it get a small highlight. That means it's selected. Choose Edit -> Paste and it'll change to the spring icon, both in the Get Info box and on the desktop.

Now just drag it onto the Dock itself and drop it where you'd prefer.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.