OS 9 Will not boot from Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 C2D 10.4.10
I have a G3 iMac 450 Mhz slot load DVD drive and I installed OS 9 on it, but I can't eject the disc because it says that it is running from the disc in the drive or something to that effect. I cannot boot from the drive even after I have set the start up disc to do so. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try holding down the alt key (Option key)as you boot up. Icons should come up to select a system folder to boot from

OP
jokerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
should I do that without the disc in it? I did that and it still doesn't work

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you installed System 9, did install the disk drivers? I believe you need those to boot.

OP
jokerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I did. I install from the disc but perhaps I didn't do the drivers. Do I do those separately? If so, that might be the problem. I will let you know. If it is, I am an idiot. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Is the just-installed OS 9 the only system on the machine?

I've never heard of installing more drivers, whether the thing has OS X on it or not. I've loaded a heckuva lot of systems, from 6 on up to Tiger, on partitioned disks and single partitions running 9 as well as X. But I've missed the obvious before.

Restart while holding down the mouse button. This is supposed to eject the CD/DVD.

OP
jokerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see amy other drivers. Can I do A clean install over what I put on it and see if that works?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It have been a long time since I loaded it. I do recall there was OS 9 disk drivers or something.

Reaction score
Can I do A clean install over what I put on it and see if that works?
Yes. If you don't have any files you want to save first and if the install disk's Disk Utility works, wipe the drive clean before you reinstall. This isn't a zeroing out that takes forever. There's another command I can't recall that wipes out the index so nothing can be found, and takes only a few seconds.

I'm not sure whether there's supposed to be a firmware update involved. I don't think so. Once the machine is running properly, hook it up to the net and use OS 9's Software Update to see if there's anything you need.

Reaction score
If you nuke the hard drive the firmwear updates will be lost,You will need to install the firmwear updates first or right after the OS, unless you have the Imac CD that came with the machine as the firmwear is on that CD
its orange. Do not try to run the machine with out the right firmwear as it
may not restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
If you nuke the hard drive the firmwear updates will be lost,You will need to install the firmwear updates first or right after the OS, unless you have the Imac CD that came with the machine as the firmwear is on that CD
its orange. Do not try to run the machine with out the right firmwear as it
may not restart.

OS 9 needs to be installed before the firmware as the firmware is based off the bios(right?)

What I found on Apple:
About the iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9

The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 will only run on iMac computers with slot-loading CD or DVD drives running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local drive. If you are using Mac OS X you must boot from a local Mac OS 9.1 or later writeable partition (not a CD, or network disk) prior to following the update instructions.

Reaction score
I know if you wait to long after you install OS 9 (not from the Imac CD) the
machine will shut down and its a long process to get it started again. I have
the orange Imac CD and then upgraded to 9.2. The firmwear update sould be install as quick as you can insert the CD. You burn the update on a CD before you start, and have it ready to install.
The 4.1.9 update is for upgrading to OS ten. You need the Imac DVD slot load firmwear,it goes back to OS 9.0 for Dv models.

OP
jokerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank to everyone for all their help. I finally got it up and running. I think if I want to load OS X 10.3.9, then I should do the 4.1.9 update and then load it, s this correct? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
After your up to 9.2.2 then do the 4.1.9 update before you load os ten. You may have to push the programers button under the modem jack. The instructions are on the firmwear read me,its self extracting when you load the CD. Download it and burn it to a CD. After the update you can load Ten.
Good Luck

OP
jokerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, I am going to install OS X 10.3.9. I have all the updates necessary. I appreciate all the help. If I have any other problems, I will post them. You all are great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.