Non-Mac OS Printer to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
Is there a way to convert or use a non-Mac OS printer with a Mac? I have a Canon all in one that only supports Windows and wanted to know if there is a way to use it with my Mac.

Can I hook it up to the network and use it that way? Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
It depends on the printer language it understands. What model printer is it? Does it have a network interface?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Canon does support Macs. Let us know the model number and we'll help you find the correct driver.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends on the printer language it understands. What model printer is it? Does it have a network interface?

Canon does support Macs. Let us know the model number and we'll help you find the correct driver.
Canon MF8180c

And, yes it does have a network interface (Ethernet port).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon MF8180c

And, yes it does have a network interface (Ethernet port).

Wow. I stand corrected! Canon doesn't provide any drivers for anything other than Windows for that model, much to my surprise.

That is one heck of a printer though, very high end. I'm amazed that they don't have Mac OS drivers.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. I stand corrected! Canon doesn't provide any drivers for anything other than Windows for that model, much to my surprise.

That is one heck of a printer though, very high end. I'm amazed that they don't have Mac OS drivers.
I know, thanks. Can I connect it to our network though?

Or, what if I connect it to another PC (non-Mac) that is connected to the network, would I be able to use it than?

I do have it Windows installed and can use it that way, but I don't have that many programs in Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, thanks. Can I connect it to our network though?

Or, what if I connect it to another PC (non-Mac) that is connected to the network, would I be able to use it than?

I do have it Windows installed and can use it that way, but I don't have that many programs in Windows.

You might try establishing a network connection through LPD and picking another Canon driver, in the hopes that it's smart enough to interpret generic commands.

Assuming you know the printer's IP address, just go to add a printer through System Preferences => Print & Fax. Click on IP, then select LPD for the Protocol, type in the IP address and leave the queue name blank. I would try the Canon Gutenprint driver shown in the attached image. Experiment with that and the Generic Postscript driver and maybe even try an HP Color LaserJet 4500 driver.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might try establishing a network connection through LPD and picking another Canon driver, in the hopes that it's smart enough to interpret generic commands.

Assuming you know the printer's IP address, just go to add a printer through System Preferences => Print & Fax. Click on IP, then select LPD for the Protocol, type in the IP address and leave the queue name blank. I would try the Canon Gutenprint driver shown in the attached image. Experiment with that and the Generic Postscript driver and maybe even try an HP Color LaserJet 4500 driver.
Thanks for the info. Right now we are using another printer on the network, until I can get a switch (I have no more available ports on our router to hook up the printer).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Right now we are using another printer on the network, until I can get a switch (I have no more available ports on our router to hook up the printer).

I'm still blown away that Canon doesn't have a Mac driver for that printer. Considering how popular Macs are in graphic arts, that basically leaves that printer model inaccessible to a sizable market.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm still blown away that Canon doesn't have a Mac driver for that printer. Considering how popular Macs are in graphic arts, that basically leaves that printer model inaccessible to a sizable market.

Yeah agreed. I thought for sure Canon would have a OSX driver for a printer of that caliber. I have been searching the Gimp Print site and someone there is asking them if they plan to support the Canon MF8180c in a future release. Hope they do.

http://www.nabble.com/Printing-with-Canon-MF-8180C-on-OSX-to14123219.html

M

MacHeadCase

If they got more posts about the same question, maybe they could try it, me thinks. Or at least reply it isn't possible, if it isn't.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they got more posts about the same question, maybe they could try it, me thinks. Or at least reply it isn't possible, if it isn't.
Thanks for the suggestion...DONE! :)

M

MacHeadCase

Good luck to you, MacNNJ. :)

I'm with you guys: usually Canon is real Mac-friendly with their printers and I can't understand this one either.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck to you, MacNNJ. :)

I'm with you guys: usually Canon is real Mac-friendly with their printers and I can't understand this one either.
Thank you! I think I will call Canon in the New Year and ask them the question.

I enjoy this site MacHead! It has helped me out with several situations.

Have a Happy New Year!

M

MacHeadCase

Happy New Year to you sir as well. :)

And am glad the forum has helped you so far.

OP
MacNNJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well they should all post in that Gutenprint forum thread. LOL :D
Funny you should say that, but I registered there too and suggested that. ;) lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.