Time Machine drive mounted and working, but no Desktop Icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, 500Gb Iomega ext. HDD for Time Machne
Hi, I'm new to macs after spending many years fiddling with Windows and Linux in the IT industry, but I'm loving it so far - I bought an iMac 2 weeks ago and I'm very happy with it.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a bug or an intentional feature -

I went out and bought a 500Gb external HDD so that I could use Time Machine. Plugged it in, found and mounted it fine, Icon appears on the desktop for the mounted volume, I name it, Time Machine asked if I wanted to use that drive for backups so I chose yes. The icon changes from the standard Orange firewire icon to a Time Machine icon, it creates the initial backup and everything is fine.

This worked fine a couple of days, but now when I reboot or turn the ext HDD on, I get no icon on my desktop yet Time Machine still works fine, and it is still mounted in /Volumes and I can navigate using the terminal no problem?

Does the Time Machine icon hide itself delibrately, or has something screwed up? If the Time Machine drive does hide itself, why change it's Icon to a special Time Machine backup-drive icon?:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Open Finder preferences and check if you have enabled the option to show the external media on the desktop. If not, check the box, it will appear instantly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Finder preferences I do have external media ticked and my USB pen drives appear fine :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
During the first day of my time-machine usage I had a similar problem. Honestly I didnt feel like troubleshooting any more than you have so I simply reformatted the drive. No problems since. I wish that I could be of more help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you just reformat the Time Machine drive, then start over again with TM?

I don't mind doing that if it solves my problem, was just curious as to why it had happened, but I'm happy if I can get it working!

Perhaps it had something to do with me renaming the drive after selecting it to be used with Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.