My downloads dont save

Reaction score
When I downloaded Cyberduck and MSN, i install it, put it in my dock, and this white HDD type thing appears inmy desktop.
Well, when I turned it off, first of all, the when it was back on, the HDDs were gone from my desktop and I have to install Cyberduck and MSN again by double clicking on the ? on the dock. Whats going on?
And is there a way to stop it?

OP
Eskimomo1994
Reaction score
Uh, it still doesnt work :(
I installed it, put akk the files in the application folder but it still wont go, when I click on MSN after closing it the disk comes back to the desktop again :(

Reaction score
The versions in the dock probably are shortcuts from the installer, not the versions in the applications folder. (I assume the installers are .dmg files.) Drag the shortcuts out of the dock to delete them and replace them with those of the apps in the applications folder.

Just in case the apps are still not installed properly, check this graphic of .dmg app installation procedure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Uh, it still doesnt work :(
I installed it, put akk the files in the application folder but it still wont go, when I click on MSN after closing it the disk comes back to the desktop again :(

I believe you may need to use aMSN. I'm not too sure if MSN gave much support to OS X. Do a google search for it. Good luck.

OP
Eskimomo1994
Reaction score
ok my msn worked because when I clicked on it (the dmg in my desktop) it came up with some installation thing, like the one brown study posted in his link.
But with cyberduck and some other program, it comes up with whats inside the dmg or whatever, and shows all the folders and stuff.
so those dont work, while msn does.
Help? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
All you have to do is open up the .dmg and drag the application from that to anywhere on your computer usually your applications folder.

OP
Eskimomo1994
Reaction score
Picture1.png

Ok ive done that, this is what comes up when I open the dmg or whatever.
So what do i do now?
If i click the duck it just enters the cyberduck program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Ok, looks like it is mounted to your HD. Now drag the cyberduck icon to your applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
after u have dragged the duck icon into your application folder, what happens if you double click the duck thats in your application folder?

Reaction score
If you've double-clicked the same Cyberduck icon that's in the picture, you're running it from the installer file. So if it's still running, quit Cyberduck. Then drag the Cyberduck icon into your Applications folder.

If you have Cyberduck in the dock, kill it from the dock by dragging it to the desktop. Then drag Cyberduck from the Applications folder to the dock, so the Cyberduck icon in the dock is connected to the Cyberduck in the Applications folder, not the Cyberduck in the .dmg file. Once you've done that correctly, you can trash the .dmg file if you want.

I assume you could do all this with the Cyberduck widget, though someone should correct me if I'm wrong. (It's been so long since I've run OS X I can't recall, and even when I did, I had disabled all the widgets because I had no use for them.)

If you right-click any application icon in the Applications folder and choose Show Package Contents, you'll see why the icon is an application. The icon is just another folder full of files. Most, or a lot, of these files in an application icon can be read if you open the files with TextEdit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Just in case the apps are still not installed properly, check this graphic of .dmg app installation procedure.
they should put a link to that image at the top of the switcher hangout. i've seen that image (and posted it here) SO many times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.