• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone here have a Pleo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
My 4 year old son got a Pleo for Christmas - wondering of anyone here has one?

Pleo is pretty amazing - lives up to the web site descrition so far (and the kids love it). http://www.pleoworld.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't have one, but I seriously considered it until I saw that the batteries only gave it about an hour of run time per charge. I hope your son enjoys it. It looks like a really cool toy.

Pleo is more than just a really cool toy though, IMHO. I was really excited when I saw the ads. I see Pleo as a bit of turning point. Pleo moves, "sees", "hears" and reacts independently. It is almost lifelike. Pleo is the first commercially affordable application I have seen of multiple inexpensive processors dedicated to the task of creating a lifelike creature - a synthethic lifeform of sorts.

Processing power has finally become simultaneously cheap enough and powerful enough to start producing intelligent nearly thinking synthetic "life forms". Pleo is still fairly simple but think ahead two or three years, when Pleo's two processors can be replaced with 8 or 16 processors all for the same price and likely lower power consumption from stronger batteries. Lets see, one processor dedicated to vision, another to hearing, another to "speech" (Pleo makes noises), another to balance, another to front legs, another to rear legs, maybe one to co-ordinate and control the others, and finally, a "personality" processor. Pretty soon, you could make a really lifelike Pleo.

...and why stop there? This is what excites me about Pleo. I see it as the start of the era of commercially available meaningfully intelligent robots. Pleo moves, "sees", "hears" and reacts independently. With a bit more processing umphh and better batteries, Pleo can become a truly realistic synthetic lifeform. As processing power gets cheaper and faster, robotics can quickly move from lifelike dinosaurs to more complex animals and finally to humanoid type robots. C3PO anyone? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Sorry to barge in, but I just watched a whole bunch of videos of that little guy and he seems to be really cool.

Even if the battery only lasts for an hour roughly, I bet that son loves it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Battery life so far is better than an hour - we get about a day total out of it (small bursts of a 4 year old attention span).

It is pretty believable - had the cat confused in an entertaining stand-off that lasted awhile. I think the cat had been replaced by a robot (about time). Pleo has infrared sensors, so I think can pick up on real animals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.