Just made the switch--ipod reformatting question

Reaction score
Made my first post a couple of weeks ago, asking for input as to whether to go with the 20" or 24" imac. I decided to supersize, and went with the 24". Just picked it up yesterday morning and have been playing around, getting things set up. No major issues yet.

I used my ipod as a hard drive to move things over from my old pc, including music, etc. Now that i've got everything dumped on to the new imac, i'm going to wipe out the ipod and reformat it to Mac. I think the way to do this is to go to itunes and click "restore to factory settings." That will change the format from a pc formatted ipod back to a mac, is that right? or is there something else I need to do after restoring to factory settings?

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I go along.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know for sure, but I would guess that is correct. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8Ghz, 2Gig of ram, 500mb HD
That's correct. That's what I did with mine yesterday. Just be sure you have everything off of that iPod because once you hit the restore button in iTunes everything currently on the iPod goes bu bye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
I don't have a mac yet but I'm curious if you can copy your iTunes library files from a pc to a mac and keep things like the play count. I recently moved from a desktop to a notebook and just copied My Music and the iTunes files and everything set up quite nicely.

Reaction score
Hope - I found this guide from another forum to be quite helpful. http://guides.macrumors.com/Transferring_Music_from_my_old_PC_to_new_Mac

If all your music is on your iPod it's very easy - you only need to do the first 6 steps. The caveats I found are that my ratings didn't transfer and smart playlists get converted to regular playlists. The current beta version supposedly fixes the ratings issue. If you need more info, you may want to start a new thread since you have a different question.

jd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.