If a new Penryn MBP is announced at Macworld...

Reaction score
How soon would they be available for shipping?
Also anyone thinks the upgrade will be significant enough to wait for it?

I'm debating whether to pull the trigger and get one now or hold off for any news regarding an update.

This will be my first Mac by the way. It will be mainly used as an audio workstation to run Ableton Live 7 and Reason 4 as well as a few CPU and memory intensive VST plugins. I'd like to get a computer that will last me at least 2-3 years without having to buy a new one.

I will be buying a WD 320GB Passport hard drive this week so I can swap out the drive with the MBP's when I get one. I also plan to max out the RAM to 4 gigs.

Currently I'm sharing my wife's PC (Thinkpad) so I kind of need a laptop of my own. So the question remains whether to patiently wait the next 3 weeks for Macworld or buy one now?

What would you do if you were me?

Summer2000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Typically, when Apple announces new hardware, it's available immediately for purchase. There are rare exceptions, but this is how they usually do it. Whether or not it'll be worth waiting is entirely on your shoulders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
wait! i didn't for the macbooks but then new ones came out, i was gutted, for three weeks it's not worth it trust me......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
I would wait the 3 weeks, but do you think that Apple is going to upgrade their hardware again so soon after upgrading to the Santa Rosa chipset? I seriously doubt it....but better safe than sorry. Good luck with your upcoming purchase!

Reaction score
hey, i'm in the same boat, i'm looking to get a macbook pro for audio production. i'm probably going to do the same as you. and wait for the new macbook pro's i really hope they include a bigger hard drive in the re-fresh. what specs are you looking into getting? as your' also doing music production?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
I have to go with the rest of these guys and say hold out. With an event just right around the corner it would be a dumb move to buy now. Check here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am no fan of waiting except when you are reasonably close to a macworld expo or somr other major event that apple holds......in this case i'd say wait if you dont need a compy right this second

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Just my opinion here folks, but I expect a Penryn Mac Pro will be announced and ...maybe, just maybe... an upgrade to Penryn for the high end 24" iMac. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything else. Penryn is the cutting edge. To keep Mac product line differentiated, Apple has marketing incentive to populate only the high end of the line with Penryns.

Like I said however, just my opinion...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.