Concerned

Reaction score
As I continue to use my new MBP, I have begun to witness some glitches. I've experienced the "blue screen of death" on start-up. What took 25 seconds to boot, is now closer to a minute. I realize that isn't a long time, but that blue screen is a little discouraging. Also, it can't recognize my HP's driver. The printer is only 2 years old, and it doesn't have it listed. My wife's 6 year old printer is listed. I had to download a program called pacifist to get my printer/fax icon back....have no clue as to how come it left. My computer has, periodically got hung up while surfing. I do understand, that Apple can't control 3rd party applications. I isn't like the old days of just mac stuff. But, do you think that rushed it just a bit by putting this operating system out so early?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Early? The System was put out several months late.

I'm assuming you updated to 10.5. What kind of upgrade did you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I just downloaded the drop in DVD that came with my new computer. It was loaded with Tiger (those OS disks are also included.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just downloaded the drop in DVD that came with my new computer. It was loaded with Tiger (those OS disks are also included.)

Again, what kind of upgrade did you do? If you just followed the disc then you did a simple upgrade which is likely your problem. Apple recommended a Clean Install or and Archive and Install, but not a simple upgrade. I'm not sure if you can do either or both with the disc they gave you.

Boot from that DVD again and look for an OPTIONS button a few screens in. See if it gives you and option for either, then you'll know.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I'm not that Mac literate. It was a refurb. It came with Tiger. It also came with 10.5 drop disk. I didn't know what that meant at the time. I just followed the instructions of loaded the Leopard disk after the Tiger Install. I'm just saying, that the computer booted up in about 25 seconds for the first two weeks. Now....it hangs on the blue screen for almost a minute. I downloaded Adobe Reader...Zapper...Tune Bar...and use Firefox....other than that...everything else is original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's probably doing what it is doing because of the 10.5 install. What you describe seems to be a symptom of doing a simple upgrade for many. I don't know what the install options are with the disc you have, you need to boot from it and see what options it gives you. If you can do an Archive and Install I would do that, otherwise I would recommend a Clean install (make sure you back up your data). Otherwise you can live with it the way it is.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just wait for the next fix...10.5.2 coming out in January or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
When you use progs like app zapper it's best to also watch what they are deleting. I tried it out one day and noticed that it took a few files that didn't belong to the program it was supposed to be deleting... I think either it asks you to confirm or you can check before you empty the trash bin... That might be your problem and a leopard fix probably won't help. If you did a 'time machine' before all this happened or maybe a whole new clean install might be a good fix...

Good luck!

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I've been pretty comfortable with zapper. It has really stayed on course with the stuff it deletes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Why are you completely ignoring what Baggss is telling you? He is telling you that you chose the wron type of install when you put 10.5 on. and you need to rerun the install selecting different options. He even tells you how to find these options. Put the CD in and boot off it. During install select options and pick Archive and Install and you should be fine. Patches to the OS such as 10.5.2 won't do anything at all for your issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I did the Leopard upgrade on my Macbook Pro and it seems to be fine with no problems at the moment.

Just put the disc in and followed the screen.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
that's exactly what I did. I'm not going to play around with it. Yes, it takes about a minute to boot up now, but, other than that....it is just fine.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Also....I agree with mikesmith2. I'm just doing what the disk tells me to do.

Reaction score
As I continue to use my new MBP, I have begun to witness some glitches. I've experienced the "blue screen of death" on start-up. What took 25 seconds to boot, is now closer to a minute. I realize that isn't a long time, but that blue screen is a little discouraging. Also, it can't recognize my HP's driver. The printer is only 2 years old, and it doesn't have it listed. My wife's 6 year old printer is listed. I had to download a program called pacifist to get my printer/fax icon back....have no clue as to how come it left. My computer has, periodically got hung up while surfing. I do understand, that Apple can't control 3rd party applications. I isn't like the old days of just mac stuff. But, do you think that rushed it just a bit by putting this operating system out so early?

maybe you should just swich to a pc, i never had a blue screen on there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.